AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Q90R was bad and crushed shadow detail. It was so bad that it was looking at 1/4th of the picture while rest was covered. For example the opening scene of Doctor strange I tested back then only center part was visible and rest entire screen was literally black. The shelves and the books in the shadow that were visible on TV like X95G was gone on Q90R. If anyone is only watching movie directly on Q90R and have nothing to compare would not notice but he will be missing a lot of content which was being presented. That is really bad.
Not only black crush, Q90R was also so bright that you lost detail in HDR material. It is all about processing. You don't see this on Sony LCD.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Not only black crush, Q90R was also so bright that you lost detail in HDR material. It is all about processing. You don't see this on Sony LCD.
SAMSUNG Q90R had many shortcomings compared to SONY. Like colors on it were so saturated to the point that it looked completely unreal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It wasn't an argument for either but simply pointing out differences that may sway particular buyers. Yes, obviously, talking about the tech is great but don't judge a book by it's cover.
Well if you are giving Dolby Vision as an example - Sony doesn't have the TV-LED DV on any of their series except on the X900H and there are still posterization issues. LG 2020 OLEDs had raised blacks on DV before last weeks firmware.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Q90R was bad and crushed shadow detail. It was so bad that it was looking at 1/4th of the picture while rest was covered. For example the opening scene of Doctor strange I tested back then only center part was visible and rest entire screen was literally black. The shelves and the books in the shadow that were visible on TV like X95G was gone on Q90R. If anyone is only watching movie directly on Q90R and have nothing to compare would not notice but he will be missing a lot of content which was being presented. That is really bad.
I somehow remember that the Q90R didn't have crushed blacks. No idea why.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I somehow remember that the Q90R didn't have crushed blacks. No idea why.
See we could have dialed the settings to bring up the shadow detail but in return the blacks were gone. It was lot worse than SONY and even LG LED. So no point doing that. And SAMSUNG was advertising its deep blacks so that was the right settings.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
The Q90R is superior to any Sony LCD
For what? Q90R had over saturated colors looking unnatural which is the issue with all SAMSUNG TVs as SAMSUNG Picture Processing is no good. Coming to blacks as I said before. Blacks were deep black but crushed shadow detail completely. Brightness well SONY has brighter TVs.

·
Registered
SONY XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
333 Posts
Nope Z9D has superior Back-light control as well as Contrast to Z9G. Z9D also has superior color grading. What Z9G has is brighter image but in brightness category Z9D was already more than decent. Z9G would have been better if SONY skipped on X-Wide Angle as that brings down the Contrast by a decent amount. Seriously who needs or cares about X-Wide Angle on that wide screen unless one is sitting a lot closer than 7-8ft. If a person is sitting as close as 4-6ft and off axis by a good 45° only then he can benefit from X-Wide Angle.
From my in home side by side comparisons, the Z9G offered a better all around PQ than my Z9D. Motion handled better on the Z9G. More depth & detail which can be credited to the 8K panel. Colors looked better on my Z9G which was calibrated by a certified calibrator. My Z9D was calibrated by Best Buy geek squad. And I’m sure the large 85” screen size had a big impact. The G just looked better all around. This upcoming Z9J seems to be the Z8H repackaged. Doesn’t have BMD and will most likely have around the same brightness level of the Z8H.

·
Registered
303 Posts
For what? Q90R had over saturated colors looking unnatural which is the issue with all SAMSUNG TVs as SAMSUNG Picture Processing is no good. Coming to blacks as I said before. Blacks were deep black but crushed shadow detail completely. Brightness well SONY has brighter TVs.
except none of the ratings sites agree, they all rate the Q90R higher. Probably why Samsung outsells Sony by a mile

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
From my in home side by side comparisons, the Z9G offered a better all around PQ than my Z9D. Motion handled better on the Z9G. More depth & detail which can be credited to the 8K panel. Colors looked better on my Z9G which was calibrated by a certified calibrator. My Z9D was calibrated by Best Buy geek squad. And I’m sure the large 85” screen size had a big impact. The G just looked better all around. This upcoming Z9J seems to be the Z8H repackaged. Doesn’t have BMD and will most likely have around the same brightness level of the Z8H.
Motion is one thing I agree that Z9G was better than Z9D. "Colors looked better on my Z9G" hmmmmm........ well I think it comes down to settings probably as both were calibrated by different guys and at different period of times the settings may be different and off by a bit. Screen size as well as brightness level do impact. Also it depends on content we used to test. Yes Z9J does not have BMD but how many zones is a question. Lets wait for reviews to roll out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
except none of the ratings sites agree, they all rate the Q90R higher. Probably why Samsung outsells Sony by a mile
SAMSUNG outselling SONY is because of SONY's own foolishness. That is a discussion for other time. Why it is getting higher rating is because the way it is measured. When measuring the rating sites use Test Patterns and not our Regular Viewing content. Test Patterns can never equate to real life TV watching experience. That is the reason good reviewers always go through testing by Watching Movies and if you read the reviews you will learn about all the details. Rating sites don't go through all that stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
See we could have dialed the settings to bring up the shadow detail but in return the blacks were gone. It was lot worse than SONY and even LG LED. So no point doing that. And SAMSUNG was advertising its deep blacks so that was the right settings.
Sorry i can't agree with you. I double checked reviews and there wasnt black crush on the Q90R

·
Registered
469 Posts
Z8H does not have BMD. It only has FALD. And we don't care how expensive it was or is. But with Mini-LED Technology SONY could have achieved it for a much meaningful price.
I know the Z8H doesn’t have BMD, i meant that without it i wasn’t as dissapointed as I had thought i would be coming off the Z8F.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well if you are giving Dolby Vision as an example - Sony doesn't have the TV-LED DV on any of their series except on the X900H and there are still posterization issues. LG 2020 OLEDs had raised blacks on DV before last weeks firmware.
Really, they're all not perfect?
LOL, you can't help yourself. Just noted a difference other may desire that I currently don't personally care about. I don't have a dog in this so maybe keep yours on a leash. Did you name him Samsung?

·
Registered
272 Posts

You can check for our self. From 7:25 .
Wow, the Sony is so much better. Not sure why so many people prefer the obvious fake picture of overblown colors of the Samsung.. video reviewers just say the more expensive Samsung tv's are better because they cost more for the most part...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Wow, the Sony is so much better. Not sure why so many people prefer the obvious fake picture of overblown colors of the Samsung.. video reviewers just say the more expensive Samsung tv's are better because they cost more for the most part...
They are not and trust me even LG does better job than them in department of Picture Quality.

141 - 160 of 260 Posts