161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Reactions: anthonymoody

·
Registered
684 Posts
That is their Master series TV. What did you expect. 85" X80H was just $2000.
Yes but the 85" Z9G is $10k. That 600% jump to 100" is no accident. Unless Sony has figured out the yield rate on those panels, I'd be shocked if it's under 5-figures.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Yes but the 85" Z9G is $10k. That 600% jump to 100" is no accident. Unless Sony has figured out the yield rate on those panels, I'd be shocked if it's under 5-figures.
You didn't get the point right The panel used for Z9G series is completely different than what it is for regular TVs. Those panels are harder to make and lot expensive. But even after that the $60K is not a direct representation of panel cost anyways as that is a huge profit margin you see there for SONY. That was specially priced that high just for people to throw down their money for SONY to make profits. Panel cost didn't play much into that crazy price range. Do you really think that if one the 98" Z9G panels break they will charge $50K+ for the Panel replacement. Nope they will do that under $10K or even less.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You didn't get the point right The panel used for Z9G series is completely different than what it is for regular TVs. Those panels are harder to make and lot expensive. But even after that the $60K is not a direct representation of panel cost anyways as that is a huge profit margin you see there for SONY. That was specially priced that high just for people to throw down their money for SONY to make profits. Panel cost didn't play much into that crazy price range. Do you really think that if one the 98" Z9G panels break they will charge $50K+ for the Panel replacement. Nope they will do that under $10K or even less.
I remember the days that they made a HUGE price increase just on 70 inch lcd's and plasma, when 65 inches were way cheaper.. and that was just a difference of 5 inches... Bottom line is, they can price the extravagant sizes just because they can get away with it. Not because the price of the tv is anywhere near what it costs for them to make it...

Literally 25k euro when LG first announced their 77 inch oled... 30k usd... Now the new 77 inch oleds which are much better than the 2016 line, can be bought for $3500 at bestbuy, just 4.5 years later. So not only did the oleds get much better since then, they became 9 times cheaper... Did they really find ways to make the costs to make the OLEds at 77 inch 9 times cheaper, or were they just vastly overpriced compared to how much they cost to make the first 3 years or so they were available make since 2016??? You be the judge....

With this being said.. I have faith the X92J will be between 6-8k!!.. If it was going to be a special edition expensive set, they would have called it an x100J and have the same tech as the X95J, just at 100 inches so they could price it at whatever they feel like...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I suspect that even a mid-range Sony 100" TV would be at least the visual equal of most, if not all, front projection setups for contrast, resolution and HDR. And it's my 120" FP setup I'm looking to replace. The JVC RS600 and screen cost me about $10K and a dedicated bat cave room. A 100" TV will go in my living room and I get a bedroom back--how much is that worth? I don't need the "best", just good enough and I'm a potential buyer, not just someone debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I suspect that even a mid-range Sony 100" TV would be at least the visual equal of most, if not all, front projection setups for contrast, resolution and HDR. And it's my 120" FP setup I'm looking to replace. The JVC RS600 and screen cost me about $10K and a dedicated bat cave room. A 100" TV will go in my living room and I get a bedroom back--how much is that worth? I don't need the "best", just good enough and I'm a potential buyer, not just someone debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Definitely Less than $10K. But less by how much is up for debate. Price is not announced yet. So all the price discussions on this thread till now were our guess work.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sony site already shows all the 2021 lineup with one exception: The 100" X92 . I wonder why.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Owned how. Linking to a video which disproves his point is not a win.
Umm, count the stars at standard dimming. Maybe the Sony is creating extra ones. Ya, that's the ticket! I suspect I could live with that amount of black crush but I sure wouldn't deny it's existence when right in front of me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
TV makers don't simply slap a price tag on something because that's how they feel on a certain day. The whole reason 100" TVs have been non existent to this point is because of the insanely low yield rates for the panels. Then you have to factor the cost of shipping and other logistics that are reflected in the MSRP. Why do think the Sony Z9G and Samsung Q900 (again, both of which cost a down payment on a house) are the only two on the market? This is still a very niche item and outside of AVS-world (which represents a tiny fraction of buyers) most people still think 75" is too big. Facts. But somehow yall think all of a sudden 2021 will be the year they hit $3500 by BF? And Sony of all people will be the price disruptor? No chance.

Reactions: anthonymoody

·
Registered
500 Posts
TV makers don't simply slap a price tag on something because that's how they feel on a certain day. The whole reason 100" TVs have been non existent to this point is because of the insanely low yield rates for the panels. Then you have to factor the cost of shipping and other logistics that are reflected in the MSRP. Why do think the Sony Z9G and Samsung Q900 (again, both of which cost a down payment on a house) are the only two on the market? This is still a very niche item and outside of AVS-world (which represents a tiny fraction of buyers) most people still think 75" is too big. Facts. But somehow yall think all of a sudden 2021 will be the year they hit $3500 by BF? And Sony of all people will be the price disruptor? No chance.
Good point, but what about the 98" Xiaomi Tv's that were FALD and around $3000 last year? I thought for sure we'd see some big name try to compete or best them in 2021.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I still think the worst case scenario is it launches at 10k... Black Friday price is 6k, and it's available sometime next year as a demo floor model for $3500 to $4000 since every store is going to have it on display...And yes, companies do price tv's on how they feel on a certain day, and no I don't feel like giving a ton of examples besides the 77 inch oled example I gave earlier...

161 - 180 of 219 Posts