AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a projector at home to use only for watching DVD's and playing video games (I'd use the regular tube tv for everything else). I don't watch any HDTV, and have a non-progressive scan DVD player. I don't have a lot of room so I'd probably only have a 60-70 inch screen at most. Sound level is very important to me, for example I find the fan noise from a Sony Playstation 2 quite irritating so it needs to be really quiet.

Given all that, the Sony Cineza seems like a good bet but I've never owned a projector before so I'm looking for experienced projector users opinions given what I need. What do you all think? I can get it for around $2000 new (discounted thru a buddy), it's very quiet and with a 60 inch screen I think it will be bright enough, and maybe not have much of the so called 'screen door' effect that people here mention. Plus the bulbs seem relatively cheap to replace.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For 2K it's OK. For 3K retail NO WAY!!! Since you don't have progressive sources and noise issues, LT150 is out. Another candidate to look at is the new Plus Piano. It has a very nice line doubler (Faroujda--?spelling) for 3K which will be great with your interlaced sources. It's also has better contrast as it's DLP (700:1 I believe but not sure). It has the 240Hz color wheel so rainbow artifacts are 1/4 less than LT150. It's not very bright (450 lumens) but for up to 80 in. diagonal it's OK in dark room. It has 848X480 (16:9 mode) and 800X600 (4:3 mode) settings so DVD playback will be boosted to 480p without scaling so better image with less artifacts. My bet is that the Plus Piano will kick Cineza's butt. Cineza has horizontal digital keystoning which is nice but not that useful as it tend to degrade image to use digital keystoning (OK for text and data but not for video as it screws up the phase and clock of image)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Huey,

I'm pretty sure the Cineza has *optical* horizontal keystone. If this is the projector I am thinking of it has "Sideshot" technology :) or the ability to optically offset the image to the side. I took a quick look at it yesterday and it didn't seem like it had any digital keystone adjustment active. That also matches my impressions from Cedia... I'm not sure about optically shifting the image vertically, but it may have that too.

I agree about the price though, it's competitive if you need the placement flexibility. However, for raw picture quality the Plus Piano probably does a better job at the same price.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Joker454

I will say right up front that I am not an experience projector owner, I have owned a cineza for about one month :).

Some quick comments.

Where I watch most of my movies I sit about 5 feet behind the projector and the I haven't noticed the fan during a movie. What sound there is seems nicely directed forward.

The room also has very poor light control. I have watched TV during the day, which is alright until the sun starts streaming in later in the day. I watch all my movies after dark when things are pitch black.

The keystoning is digital hor. and vertical. I didn't like the sound of digital keystoning but in practice it has been very useful. For a few degrees it is excellent, with the only artifacts visible at the edge of the picture, where there is a stair case. I set the projector up in one location with the projector about 1 meter (3feet) to the right of the screen. The room was small but I was also trying out the vertical keystoning (sideshot). This is an angle of about 40 degrees about the maximum the projector allows. Considering that the left of the screen was using about half the resolution of the right, the picture was still very good, ie not perfect but watchable. What you have to remember with keystoning this much (The projector only allows something like 10 to 15 degrees in the horizontal direction) is that the brightness and screen door comes into play. When I used it, the left of the screen was noticeably darker and the screen door was very noticeable. This is made worse be the fact that you are sitting closer to the screen ie next to the projector. Having said all that when I put "fight club" on I still watched over an hour of it even though I had seen it the previous night :). I also choose fight club because it is a very dark movie. Bottom line, it is a nice feature to have but I would not like to be forced to use that much vertical keystoning every time I used the projector. I could definitely live with a small amount of horizontal keystoning.

You can not use horizontal and vertical keystoning at the same time. This makes sense if you think about it as it would almost be impossible to set up.

Very portable, I also have a portable screen. They have now traveled to about 4 different sites for feature presentations :)

The projector can not be roof mounted. They projector dosn't allow for the picture to be inverted. It is also on a swivel base which would make it hard to mount upside down.

Yes the bulbs seem to be good value.

I lurked here (avs forum) for about 8 months looked at this projector and that. Thought about black level, 16x9, etc. I was totally scared of wasting all that money.

I got the cineza for less than half what I was looking at spending on other projectors. So rather than reading about black levels or screen doors, I'm experiencing it :). I am also enjoying big screen movies.

Is it the best projector, no. If I had spent more time looking could I have got a better projector for about the same money, probably. I spent 8 months looking at projectors, I think I should have spent that time watching movies:).

So as they say in those ads just do it.

Matthew

P.S. why did that turn into a pep talk. I think it is because I would have liked to read something like this about 8 months ago:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KFung
Huey,

I'm pretty sure the Cineza has *optical* horizontal keystone. If this is the projector I am thinking of it has "Sideshot" technology :) or the ability to optically offset the image to the side. I took a quick look at it yesterday and it didn't seem like it had any digital keystone adjustment active. That also matches my impressions from Cedia... I'm not sure about optically shifting the image vertically, but it may have that too.

Definitively NO.

The Cineza has digital H keystone correction. I saw it yesterday and took a look very carefully at this feature.

Carlos

·
Registered
456 Posts
Matthew,

I really appreciated your post. My situation is very similar to yours. I don't yet own a projector but I'v been lurking for a while; seen a few demos and read lots of articles. It's certainly time for me to get my feet wet, but it is hard in the HT world with all the cash involved, as you know.

I've been very close to getting a Cineza because it's cheap and quiet and I probably can get it setup OK w/o too many adjustments, etc. I'm still going to wait to see how the InFocus LS110 looks, and how much it will actually cost. If that doesn't work out, or it takes too long, I'll feel OK grabbing a Cineza. I'm sure it's a great first projector.

Best,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.