AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have used the CX500 outdoors can you see the LCD good even in bright sunlight?

Reason I am asking I live in Texas where the sun shines quite strongly and even though CX550 is tempting it is $400 more for it. CX500 has what I want, good Sensor, great stabilization and great low light capabilities.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
I returned my CX500 about a month ago because I didn't like haven't to make do with just the flip out screen. I had trouble seeing characters on the screen in bright light.

I am waiting for a comparable camcorder with a viewfinder, as that is the only way to go when filming outside, in bright light, or in situations that the light from the flip out screen can bother others... (filming in theatres, musical events, etc.).

I'm looking at ether the Sony CX550v or the Panasonic TM700, both having viewfinders.

Rick

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/18149766

Thanks for the reply rich. I kinda figured that, but it's good to hear thoughts from actual owners. I am looking at the exact 2 cams that you are. Mostly because of the viewfinder also.

I've never had a cam with a viewfinder I used - I like the size of the LCDs and not having to position the cam right in my face. I also find myself using nearby objects to brace the cam - leaning on fences, leaning on fences while shooting through holes in them (train video), etc. I couldn't do that with a viewfinder. Obviously, having both is better than just one but I've never actually found myself wanting a viewfinder.

For the CX12 which had a similar LCD, I had some trouble viewing details in the picture at Canyonlands in Utah - bright, bright sunlight and open sky for 50 miles in all directions. With the CX500V, I had one day where I was having trouble until I remembered that you could adjust the brightness, contrast, and color saturation on the LCD itself (without affecting the recording, of course). Simply increasing the LCD brightness helped a great deal. I generally leave it at a normal level because I assume the brighter level uses a bit more battery - but then I usually don't run the battery close to full empty anyway. But if I'm having trouble seeing, I play with the LCD levels.

Anyway, you might want to play with one in a store and work the LCD choices to see if that makes a difference in your decision.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I have the XR500 and from the little I've used it in the sun (flip out screen) it seems to hold up alright. However, it has a bigger/higher res screen than the CX500, so I don't know if the CX looks the same.

That said, in bright light, it is more for keeping the subjects framed. It is difficult to judge levels or wb out in the bright light. (What little bright light there is in Minnesota in February anyway.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18150224

I have the XR500 and from the little I've used it in the sun (flip out screen) it seems to hold up alright. However, it has a bigger/higher res screen than the CX500, so I don't know if the CX looks the same.

That said, in bright light, it is more for keeping the subjects framed. It is difficult to judge levels or wb out in the bright light. (What little bright light there is in Minnesota in February anyway.)

-Suntan

You're definitely right about the respective resolution of the LCD screens - that of the XR500 is much higher than that of the CX500. I'm happy with the latter, don't get me wrong. But there is a big difference in the pixel count even though the screen size is about the same.

The 2010 55x series cams (XR and CX) both have the higher-resolution LCD, I think.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks for posting your experiences with the LCD's everyone. It's good to read other members thoughts on it's performance in these conditions. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I can live without a viewfinder, as it seems to add quite a bit to the price tag of cams, although you do get other features included with the higher price tag.

I'm thinking of purchasing a cam in the next couple of months and your posts might help me make a decision as to whether to get a cam with a viewfinder or not. I have 3 cams on my list so far- the Sony CX500V, CX550V, and the Panny TM-700. I'll get out there when the two new models are released, and check them all out with my own hands, and make a decision on which one would work best for me and my filming needs.

I expect the price for the CX500 might drop to $600.00 down the road once these new cams are released? If I can get it for that, it will be hard to resist purchasing it. I'll keep researching in the meantime.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/18164309

Thanks for posting your experiences with the LCD's everyone. It's good to read other members thoughts on it's performance in these conditions. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I can live without a viewfinder, as it seems to add quite a bit to the price tag of cams, although you do get other features included with the higher price tag.

I'm thinking of purchasing a cam in the next couple of months and your posts might help me make a decision as to whether to get a cam with a viewfinder or not. I have 3 cams on my list so far- the Sony CX500V, CX550V, and the Panny TM-700. I'll get out there when the two new models are released, and check them all out with my own hands, and make a decision on which one would work best for me and my filming needs.

I expect the price for the CX500 might drop to $600.00 down the road once these new cams are released? If I can get it for that, it will be hard to resist purchasing it. I'll keep researching in the meantime.

I'm in the same boat, as I'm sure many are. They are already down to $699 (no tax, free ship) so it is a tough call. Viewfinder is one feature, but the 550 also has the wider angle, 64GB instead of 32, SDHC card (no more sony sticks), and supposedly an improved menu system although who knows.

Nothing is easy.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 /forum/post/18173209

I wouldn't expect the cx500s to go much below 700

And someone else noted that inventories at Abe's and B&H are already running low.

I took a look at the focal length site posted by a kind person in another thread (sorry, don't have the name right here) and the two models (500 vs 550) will definitely have different capabilities - the former favoring distance zooms and the later closer wide angle. I definitely prefer the former but most posters here seem to prefer the latter. But here's that link again so people can pop in the focal range to see if it influences a decision. With the exception of that and maybe form factor (I'd have to feel the new one in the hand before being sure), the 550 is the "better" cam on specs and completeness of featrures. But since Sony changed the size a bit and the optics and the 500 will be cheaper, I can still see some people wanting the 500. I would. Some of the 550 improvements are important to sales and selected people but maybe not to many point-and-shooters, including me. 24 mbs just isn't a factor for me. Same with the viewfinder. For getting CX500s, time may be running out. I'm hoping the 2011s will offer both optics as separate cams, because the 550 with the 500 lens is what I'd buy without a moment's hesitation.

Here's the link again for those who missed it before:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php

The pertinent numbers listed in that thread before are:

CX500V 43 mm to 516 mm

CX550V 29 mm to 290 mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.