AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a comparison between these cameras. I understand the most part. The imp thing I am looking at is the low light performance. Is the difference significant enough to spend extra $320. ($520 vs $840 in amazon).

I tried to look at youtube for some comparison videos in low light for both of these... but in vain. Any information will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the sony cx500v definitely has better low light performance than canon HF200.

cx500v uses Exmor R and the sensor size is bigger, so definitely better in low light. but whether if that's worth the price difference is for you to decide.

i was contemplating betw these two as well, ended up ordering the new sony cx150 instead. about similar price($550) as canon hf200. uses Exmor R, although the sensor size is same as HF200

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 /forum/post/18135781

Need a comparison between these cameras. I understand the most part. The imp thing I am looking at is the low light performance. Is the difference significant enough to spend extra $320. ($520 vs $840 in amazon).

I tried to look at youtube for some comparison videos in low light for both of these... but in vain. Any information will be highly appreciated.

Direct comparison you probably won't find as it would require someone buying both. YouTube searches for CX500V should turn up low light examples. My channel name (ThomasAlexHD) as a search will turn up the ones I posted. The message just prior to this mentioned something to check also.

Note that "low lux" is a Sony mode that often isn't what people are praising here. If you use regular exposures for indoors and other low light situations but don't kick in "low lux" mode, that's what Sony's XR and CX Exmor R 2009 models did better than anyone else. The primary measure wasn't sensitivity as various manufacturers can pull some kind of signal out of very low lux levels. The primary measure was lack of noise. I posted a few videos showing low lux mode vs regular exposures for the same subject and lighting - I strongly prefer the latter. But in many other cams, you had to go to the equivalent of "low lux" mode to see anything useful - and that gave you the higher noise levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.