AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony has started selling two 400 CD/SACD/DVD jukebox changers: the CX777ES, which it is selling in Canada for $C 1400 (about $US 1000) versus the CX985V, which is selling in the US for for $US 400. Neither system seems to be available in both countries. Aside from a faster DAC (216 MHz for the CX777ES vs 108 MHz for the CX985V) there is not enough info on the Sony web sites to be able to see what else might distinguish them. I have a Denon 1600 with a 56MHz DAC that works just fine so don't think DAC speed alone is worth the extra money. What does the CX777 have that justifies its higher price (and ES designation) that the CX985 does not? Can either one be expected to live up to the (audio) reputation of the now legendary (and no longer available) SCD-C555ES? Is Sony planning to sell the CX777ES in the US too?

Knowledgeable comments much appreciated as I am interested in purchasing one of these. Unfortunately in-store sales people are just not well-enough informed to be helpful.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
See the link in this article. It may help. I can't send URLs yet as new member but go to Home Theater Forum - audio/video sources and look for the topic "SACD Support for upcoming Sony DVD-NC555ES" it has a Sony link which point to a document on the ES enhancements.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Anyone know if Sony will be offering this mega changer in a silver version?

Robert Willis

-Sony HS20- (when available)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this topic? Both models are now available, but I still can't quite explain the $400 difference between the 2 models.

The differences as I know them are:

1) Faster DAC in the ES

2) RS-232 port on ES (labeled 'for future use' - does it do anything)?

3) Cosmetics (silver vs black box, blue screen vs white screen).

Anything else that can help make the decision? The above don't quite justify the 2x price IMHO.

--curtis

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
All ES models have 5 year warranties.

I have had an ES cd changer before and it had far more metal construction (esp moving parts and case) than the non-es --- don't know if this applies in this case --

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.