AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking at this projector tomorrow . Are there any known problems , what should i be looking for . Also can you see the burn on the tubes through the front lens with a flashight ?It supposedly has 8000hrs on it so im not expecting good crt's .

Thanks guys

Rudi

·
Registered
864 Posts
Rudi,

Since I have had such projector for three years now with completely flawless operation I have been following related posts on this forum. Problems with this unit are very rare. It is a top notch projector in terms of ergonomics, build quality and use flexibility.

I would expect tube wear at 8000 hours of operation. New/used tubes should not be hard to find.

Turn the pj on, it starts with "all white" pattern to warm up. Now you can look through the lenses to see how uniform the color fields on the tube faces are. You will need a pair of sunglasses.

GK

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would take the lenses off and closely examine the face of each tube for signs of wear.

Steve

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Or bypass the warmup screen, put up a full field white test pattern, adjust the size to max (v and h), and look at the projected image, one color at a time, to inspect for burn in...

William

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
While looking for wear with an all white pattern and vertical and horzontal amplitude opened up to fill the entire phosphor, don't forget that your screen may extend beyond the present screen edges or be a different aspect ratio. It is sometimes easier to see the phosphor wear by looking into the lens rather than on the projected screen. Steve's suggestiont to pull the lense will give the most definitive examination but the seller would have to be willing to perform that slightly risky maneuver.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great advice .

I couldnt see any burn on the screen , so possibly the full raster was used . The picture was a little dull , but from what i saw i ended up buying .

Now the fun starts :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Guy,

Good point, of course. My suggestion to use the projected image assumes that the projector is positioned so that you can see the entire image.

If you can't see any sign of wear with the projected image, why would taking the lenses off be better? I can't imagine a seller letting a potential buyer remove the lenses on a projector...

(It also should be said that you do NOT want to attempt removal of the lenses on a projector that uses liquid coupled lenses! Not applicable to the D50, but worth mentioning here anyway)

William

·
Registered
988 Posts

(It also should be said that you do NOT want to attempt removal of the lenses on a projector that uses liquid coupled lenses! Not applicable to the D50, but worth mentioning here anyway)

Why? The rearmost lens element is permanently mounted to the CRT. The liquid resides between it and the CRT face. The lens can be removed without the liquid leaking out.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.