AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys think of the Sony D50 projector? I am currently running a VPH-1270 but have the option to buy 2 D50's in the area for $600.

One has 3k hours on it and the other has 7k. I am 95% sure I am gonna jump on this but just wanted some opinions. I figure it couldn't hurt to have a backup with parts.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
The biggest thing is the tubes. I've got 6 sets here with what looks like slightly worn tubes but with poor emission. They are dead in other words. Just got one in on trade from a single HT owner that upgraded, and other than some even wear, it looks great. So inspect it and check for focusing ability and for $600 at LEAST one original Sony setup remote better come with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt- Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is $600 for two D50's, 2 ceiling mounts, and a remote. I should do some more research, is the remote required on the D50, or is there also an onboard control like on the 12xx series? I'll let you know how things go.

-Pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have owned the D50, and also the 1252Q. The remote IS required to operate the D50. You really cannot set it up without one! There are some controls on the back panel of the D50, but things like LIN/BOW/SKEW, what you need during the setup process, are only to be found on the remote. So a D50 without the remote is, as you understand, unusable.

BTW, the D50's tend to burn up their tubes quite fast. It is common to find 2000-hour D50's with quite a lot of wear. It shows that the Sonys do drive their tubes quite hard (also true for G70's and G90's). Awesome picture for such a small set, but at a price (fast wear)...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The wireless remotes that come with the 12xx projectors work just fine with the D50. You can completely set them up with such a remote. Do you have a wireless remote with your 1270Q? I believe you press [ENTER], [ENTER], [UP], [DOWN], [ENTER], then select "Yes" to get them in service mode. The D50 is a nice little projector. My only issue with it is the smaller tube size. I recently got an HD DVD player and the D50 isn't doing it full justice, resolution-wise. That said, it has other benefits that some of the huge beasts don't have -- more quiet, small footprint, higher WAF, and component video input.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I figured it was close enough for me to look into. The seller states that "both have a little uneven wear on the CRTs " so I want to check them out in person. From Curt's post above I am wondering if $600 is a little high? At anyrate I have contacted him already and told him I was interested in setting up a time to meet and check them over. I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

-Pete

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a D50 and am very happy with it. I bought mine almost six years ago for a grand and then put fifteen hundred into it after a few months for a new set of tubes. Since then I've put just under three thousand hours on it.

As far as the projector itself goes - people tend to look down on it these days but I love mine. It is a 7" ES set and has limitations. But it works well in a small space with a modest screen.

My living room is very small, and the D50 was a drop in replacement for a vph-1020. It fit under the same coffee table and had about the same throw distance.

Overall I have enjoyed the projector very much and have been quite happy with what it does for what it is. $600 seems like a steal for two of them - but unless the tubes are perfect (which I'm sure they are not in units with thousands of hours) I would want to replace them. So I'd budget for that.

I've tried my best to focus and dial it in for 720p and it is just a little soft at that resolution. Most of the time I run 540p for regular DVDs, 720p for Xbox360 games, 1080i for HD-DVD, and either 1024x768 or 1152x864 for PC games and computer stuff. I'm using very close to all the phosphor for both 16x9 and 4x3 and all the resolutions except for 720p are sharp and clear with scanlines. My 4x3 image is 80" wide and 16x9 is 84" wide.

Problems I've had:

When I got it I was surprized by how loud it was, but with fan mods its now very quiet. I did have problems with the brightness control dying and had to fix the caps on my PA board. I also picked up a donor unit with toasted tubes for $250 and have it in the garage for parts. There is a little static drift that I've never been able to track down but it doesnt bother me too much. And there is some slight streaking with bright objects on dim backgrounds, but that's not too much of a problem either. The AGB line at the top of the screen annoys some people, but I've learned not to let it bother me.

I would say its hard to go wrong for two of them at $600. Correctly setup and dialed in with good tubes it should be able to do a great 1080i and tolerable 720p.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
But I don't think the d50 is going to throw a better pic than the 1270... Unless the 1270 is shot that is.

Troy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually I think it would throw a better picture than the 1270, though I could be wrong. Ive never had a 12xx unit, but I have a barco 800, which has the same tubes, and I definitely perfer the D50 over it (both have great tubes). I think its a nice little unit and its got some nice little extras, like component inputs. For a small footprint I dont think you could find anything better

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have one that I have not yet completed the full setup but have it set on the coffee table with minor adjustments. I think the pictures great. You have to realize most people on the forum have had their projectors for years and it takes alot to make them happy. It is definitely watchable with (2) 60 watt bulbs on in the room but much better in a dark room.

Curt knows what he is talking about with the tube wear. I have another D50 in the attic with 6700 hours on the tubes and it is to dark to watch unless you have a pitch black room. I would be interested in the fan mods that Kris performed. I don't mind the fan noise as is but would always like to make it quieter.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC /forum/post/0

Yeah, I figured it was close enough for me to look into. The seller states that "both have a little uneven wear on the CRTs " so I want to check them out in person. From Curt's post above I am wondering if $600 is a little high? At anyrate I have contacted him already and told him I was interested in setting up a time to meet and check them over. I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

-Pete

there's another d50 on eBay in Kelley, Iowa, not too far.. I emailed them and couldn't get them to take pictures of the tubes.. no remote either.. they had the price at $595 for a long time, now I see it's re-listed at $495.. without pics of the tubes and no remote I dunno if it's worth that..

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
What tubes does the d50 have? I have seen 7" rated es tubes that outperform 8" es but those are p16's and t180 but not 07ms or sd187. Being a sony I'm thinking 07ms but maybe they have something newer.

My barco 708s certainly performs better than my previous 12xx's and it's a 7" es with p16 tubes and hd-145 lenses.

Troy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The D50 uses P14LKJ03 tubes according to the projector specs on Curt's webpage. It's a bright set for only being 7". That said, my 1271Q, which has more wear on it than my D50, throws a slightly better picture. The focus is better on the 1271Q and it can resolve more with its 8" tubes. Though I'm currently using my D50 as it has component input for use with my HD-A1. Component input is a nice bonus. HD DVDs at 720p are soft on my D50, but soft 720p still beats an upscaled DVD to the D50's sweet spot (maybe 500~540p?). The smaller size is also nice as I've always floor-mounted my projectors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IME, the D50 when in good condition is a slightly sharper unit than the 125x and 127x. It is a remarkable projector for it's size. It also has proper flapping adjustments to dial in the edge focus.

I actually thought the D50 was pretty quiet running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.