AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has the above-tubes are good but on the greyscale bars on AVIA the first four are black-it wont diffrientiate the shades?

Any ideas as to cause?

I remember reading someone having a similar problem a while back-tried searching but I cant find the resolution.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heat: Maybe the tubes are Tired I have a D50 with 9986 hours that

the phosphor looks new with (NO BURN WHATSOEVER ) that no longer

has the output to draw the proper Image

·
Registered
448 Posts
On my vph 1252 there is a clamping adjustment

it describes this type of problem.

It is found on the page key.

hope this helps dave

dave

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies,But the picture is fine -just cant present a total greyscale-the tubes have about 4,000hrs-no burn...

As you look at the AVIA bars of grey/black etc..on the far left the last four are merged into one mass..almost like you would get if the brightness was set too low..(its not the brightness-at least not on the controls-even when you turn the brightness way up these 4 shades of grey are not apparent-also it doesnt seem to be the G2 settings..

My friend mentiones that at some point it may have been dropped?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
HEAT

from the description you have a crushed black problem.

How is the AVIA device (DVD?) connected to the PJ?

IF SVideo or composite check PIC CTRL->SET UP for the correct 0 IRE/7.5 IRE black level.

IF RGB via transcoder from dvd player: some transcoders are known to crush black!

IF HDTV-YPbPr via component: you may have a 0 IRE/7.5 IRE problem. Check if there is a switch on the dvd player

If RGB via HTPC: check the HTPC software.

There should be a big difference between ABG On/Off unless someone had already adjusted the bais/gain/g2 for abg off

I have a sony 715 dvd player connected to my D50 via component. Interlace signals i have to lower brightness to 40 for correct VE pluge, progressive I have to raise brightness to 72!

good luck

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Houston!! To be fair I was thinking along these lines-but playing devils advocate IF its not this any ideas as to what else could cause this problem?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
check it is not the dvd player that is crushing the blacks. Raise up the brightness of the D50 till the last bar is grey, Then raise the brightness adjustment on the DVD player and see if the grey levels come back. If it does it isnt the crt.

You should be able to pull almost any blacks on the grey scale right up to check this. But many dvd players do not have a brightness control.

My apex crushed the last 3 bars of grey before i firgured out what was wrong.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Sound like you have a problem with the brightness control not working. That problem has appeared on a number of D50's. If you bring the brightness control UP and Down and see no difference, that's the problem.

Bruce

P.S. If that's your problem, PM me and I'll tell you what to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.