AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newbie in CRT PJ, right now I'm using LCD PJ.

I'm considering to upgrade my PJ, after read a lot of post in the forum, I believe CRT is still the king in PQ compare to digital PJ.

I'm considering to buy the SONY D50HT, I need opinions from D50 user.

Does this unit good?

I will be using HTPC for the source.

SONY distributor offer me $8500 with one year warranty?

Is this fair price?

Should I consider to buy used BARCO?

New BARCO is very expensive.

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bubun,

I own a Sony D50QM. (a 50HTU has a internal scaler and 2 RGBHV inputs standard)

I used a HTPC, and now a upgraded DVD player with a Cinematrix PSM-1 scaler. The D50 works OK up to 1024x768 resolutions at 60 Hz. Beyond that (1280x1024) the image gets little soft in my oppinion. (max scan range is 64,5 Khz)

For the price you mention you should be able to buy a very good used CRT projector. In the end you might be better of with a 8" crt such as a Sony G70 or a Barco 808S. This has a bit more light output, a sharper image and a higer scan rate. For HTPC use you than can experiement which resolutions you prefer up to 1280P etc.

One big disadvantege is that you are basicly forced to use ABG on a D50. My D50 could not be setup with ABG to off and than calibrated to 6500K. The picture was not very well, and i lost a lot of "punch" in the picture compared to ABG on.

But i am still very happy with my D50. it is still under 1000 hours and should have a long live with me.

Jaco

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.