Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We have a SONY D50HTU that we are using for NTSC and PAL.

We did the PAL convergence, stored it then did the NTSC convergence and thought we had stored that.

Then went back to PAL and it was using the same convergence as NTSC which is wrong and is "out".

We are sure we have followed the manual to the letter. When you input the 2 different signals, the scan rates and different and one is 50hz, the other 60hz. So, why can't the D50 seperate them and use a different convergence memory ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't know or care if it's PAL or NTSC, the only thing that matters is that the horizontal frequencies are different.

Even if they're the same frequencies, you can use up to 10 video memories for different setups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The horizontal frequencies are very slightly different.

Could you please tell me how to store them in a video memory:

I want to put NTSC in Video Memory 7 and PAL in Video memory 2 with their slightly different colour and brightness settings also.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Do you have the User or Dealer Installation manual?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have both manuals.

The underlying problem is that on component input, the D50 will not automatically select the appropriate memory when I go between PAL and NTSC sources (e.g. a DVD region change) and vice versa. By memory here I mean the user memory that is assigned automatically when I press the memory key briefly.

The result is that though I accurately set up convergence on each source and store each setting using the memory key (short press) the D50 does not subsequently switch between these settings thus leaving the convergence incorrect on one of the sources.

On RGB input however, the D50 behaves normally and does automatically switch between memories when moving between NTSC and PAL.

In both cases (Component and RGB) The input info screen shows the expected 60 Hz to 50 Hz change. The line frequency difference is less than 1KHz in both cases.

The frequency sensitivity is set to high.

Unfortunately I am unable to use RGB sources in normal use and so I must find a solution on component.

Grateful if you can comment.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
If you mean hat you are unable to select the video memory from the remote, ONLY the RM1001 can do that, not the RM1000. If you don't have the proper remote, you can only select video memory from the menu. Of course you have to "TURN ON" video memory first. It's explained in the manual, but the remote is for the 1001.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry for barging in, I wondered the same myself. I only have one source yet, but...

The manual, maybe I missed it, doesnt explain much here, but, I guess the procedure is to display the source, call up memory no: 1 for instance, do the adjusting and save. Then display the other source, call up no: 2 memory, adjust and save.

Using this, and the RM1000, you go in the menu, call up memory 1 or 2 depending on the source.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have, and are using both remotes.

The Video Memorys (1-9) don't store convergence settings as far as we're aware.

If we input RGB, and switch between NTSC and PAL, the D50 automatically selects the correct convergence memory. If we use component, it doesn't. It stays on the same convergence setting.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Yes, that's the way you do it. each video memory (1-10) must be saved separately. But like I said, it must be turned on first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies Techman, but I think we are at cross purposes. Our video memory bank is turned on and yes you can manually store settings in it. However, convergence settings are not stored in video memory either according to the service manual or experimentally.

In our edition of the service manual, the registration data is stored in memories 00 to 99 (page 97 "memory architecture") and not in the video memory architecture in memories 1 to 10. (page 98 "video memory architecture").

Our problem is that the input frequency determined, automatically selected memory selection (00 to 49), does not operate with component input but does operate correctly on RGB input.

Many thanks for any comments you may have.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I assume you have done this to get Progressive component

1 5bnc off

2 input A

3. HDTV-YPbPr

4. sync Ext(hv)

5 projector needs to start BEFORE the DVD player

I think Bruce was referring to 5

anyway I have a G70 works exactly the same as the D50

I assume you did a full converge using a pal source and it turned out fine

(dont Know If you saved It to all Blocks I dont think the D50 can do this??)

I think your problem is that you did not repeat a full converge in the service mode for NTSC I figure you change the disk and did a converge Using a NTSC source but never entered the service mode you just used the mem key function and upon completion you switch the Pj off, and the Pj booted to what ever was saved into the memory block prior

I would do a complete converge switch the dvdplayer on with and ntsc disc after the pj has been fired up once this has been done initally you never have to do it again just locks in HDTV mode/Progressive

once you have completed the converge in service mode

It will save to memory number 9 but you must remember there are ten blocks there so both Pal and NTSC will be in the same memory number but different blocks it does it automatically unless you wish to select it manually

I am using a Philips 963 standalone and it functions fine

you never stated your player?? or is it HTPC where the settings could be wrong

TCE

Also If using component/Progressive you cannot move the inputs other than to memory 9 if you have set the structure correctly HDTV-YPbPr

=======

And GOODAYE TO YOU BRUCE

From Down under

=============

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The DVD player is an Arcam DV27A. We have also tried a Denon 3910.

PJ is set up as you describe in 1-5.

The projector auto switches convergence perfectly when using RGB. If we use component, it stays on the same Input Memory(6) whatever the horizontal scan frequency.

Where we may have gone wrong is when we were first trying to converge it, we were holding down the Memory Key for more than 5 seconds. It seems to be using one input memory for all component HDTV inputs, regardless of frequency.

If we input 15khz, 31.2 or 31.4 - the convergence stays the same!

Regards.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I dont understand,why are you trying to set one memory for NTSC and one for PAL?

An easy fix is to set your dvd player to transcode NTSC to PAL.Then you only need one input.

I can understand seperate memories if you are using dvd and D-Theatre for example.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Vincent.

Because the convergence is slightly different across different frequencies for various reasons. This is the reason the D50 selects different convergence, or memory, across RGB,

Transcoding inside a DVD player can introduce unwanted artifacts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TCE
Hi Vincent.

Transcoding inside a DVD player can introduce unwanted artifacts.
I agree in some earlier players Iv`e seen,but I dont think thats the case with the Arcam.

Have you tried? It would make a lot of things easier for you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
ForGet The transcoder as you stated

Transcoding inside a DVD player can introduce unwanted artifacts

Progressive DVDPLAYER is all you Need

I would reconverge the Pj as I stated earlier in the service Mode say for PAL

Press ENTER,ENTER,UP,DOWN,ENTER then do your converge

when satisfied with the outcome save and exit using enter,enter,up,down,enter

then repeat the process for the next Input signal say NTSC

do one first then the other NTSC,PAL

This will overwrite the previous converges

QUOTE TCE

Where we may have gone wrong is when we were first trying to converge it, we were holding down the Memory Key for more than 5 seconds. It seems to be using one input memory for all component HDTV inputs, regardless of frequency.

=====

I think buy doing this the D50 reverts to Factory default so all you good work was not being saved to memory

you only need to touch the button till the onscreen display says its saved

only a fleeting touch should surfice dont forget hen stisfied to exit the service mode as above

Input signal for NTSC would be

FH 31.4khz

FV 59.8hz

For PAL

FH 31.2Khz

FV 49.9Hz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Gatherer.

Are you saying you have to leave the service mode after converging then go back into it ? I'll give this a try if so.

Rgds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.