AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across several posts from D50 owners about how picture is sometimes flashing (slightly changing brightness) on dark scenes. The other day, while doing some preparations for a slide show at my place running off my HTPC and setting a new convergence memory on my pj (1280x1024 turned out very well), I may have accidently found the cure for this sort of problem.

I was playing with the top and bottom blanking when I noticed this phenomenon. It happened when blanking settings for the current memory is set close to its min or max positions. When the blanking is close to the picture boundary (which is where it should usually be), picture is stable. This may or may not apply to the Sony G70, not sure if any of the control circuitry is shared.

Another little tip regarding lensed cleaning. After reading about this I decided to take action and clean my D50 lenses (after about 1500 hours of use). I used a flash light to see up front how much is to be cleaned and I could see only a few particles here and there. Decided to proceed anyway. I started from the blue tube. After removing the lens, I noticed that this projector has a very well concealed gap between the face of the CRT and the first element (for a non LC unit). Hence, the amount of dust was negligible. Dust between other elements was very little too. There was no practical need to clean at this point. Bear in mind the amount of accumulated dust in general also depends on the room's air quality.

So, I mounted the lens back on and decided to do the full exercise later down the road.

NOTE: the faces of the liquid cooled CRTs and the first lensed seem to both have antireflective coating (a darker layer) which is probably very sensitive to cleaning. Removing this coating can potentially toast the pj contrast due to excessive scattered light.

GK

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.