Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had my D50Q for almost two years now and have had zero problems. Lately, I've started to notice that during black or very dark scenes, there is a sort of "horizonal flashing" apparent on the screen which was never there. I can only describe it as streaks of lighter areas flashing on the screen - sort of like horizontal lightning in a way.

Looking directly into the CRTs, I can see a lot of horizonal "noise" in the green and red guns (especially in the green) and none in the blue.

I never checked before, because it was never a problem on the screen, but I would assume looking into the tubes directly should not yield this messy result.

I should note that during normal viewing (i.e not dark scenes) this is not even noticeable. So how is it related to dark scenes? I'm baffled. What is the relation??

I've ruled out cabling, DVD players, and processors, as I've plugged in different combos, some players even directly into the S Video input on the projector (i.e. no doubling even). So I'm thinking it must be either the tubes (but can they all be bad??) or a power supply issue, or some other electronic/input issue.

Has anyone seen this on this, or on any other projector? Before I call Sony and dish out labor money I would like to understand it better.

BTW, I found this thread from back in February. It may or may not have been the same issue - I don't know.

Thanks,

Bogdan

--------------------------

Fellow D50Q owners,

I have had my unit for about a year and now I am running an Elite DV37 progrssive DVD player component wire into the RGBHV inputs. I just started to notice that on dark scenes black areas gradually shift lighter and back to dark again. This whole cycle happens within about 10 seconds.

It's hard to notice except on specific scenes. I have hooked the DVD player directly to the back of the D50 to make sure it's not a wiring problem and I even tried one of the Richard Gray power conditioners thinking it might be the power in my house.

Any suggestions? What does a bad power supply do?

thanks, joe

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
A friend with a D50 running with a progressive Pioneer 737 through the progressive component outputs had similiar problems. I loaned him a Faroudja line-doubler and the problems disapeared.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What is the current setting of "Clamp"? If it's "Auto", that's probably your problem. Sony defaults to this, unfortunately, and it's wrong. Try "H/C".

William

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have experienced flashing on my D50 as well. In my situation, with the contrast at minimum and while looking directing into the lenses, I observed horizontal flashing and 8-9 retrace lines on the face of what should have been a dark CRT. This occurred for about three weeks on the green CRT and then spontaneously disappeared. About a month later the same thing occured on the blue channel.

All is well (at least for the moment) but I am at loss as to explain the cause (and the cure).

You might want to check out this related thread (if I didn't get the link correct, just search in the CRT archive for D50 and Gil Arroyo): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=D50

Larry

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry,

Thanks for the input. Your problem is exactly what I'm seeing. Same thing as in the thread you mention. I'll see if it goes away. If not I'll get a Sony tech to come in. I think the tube warranty is 3 years.

Thanks,

Bogdan

·
Registered
510 Posts
Try putting your ABG OFF.

I have similair problems with my G70, especially at dark scenes the whole picture flashes sometimes, this is however scene dependent (I can recall the flashing everytime at EXACT the same point), when putting the ABG on OFF my picture stays rock solid, and deep black.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank,

I thought about that initially, but with ABG set to OFF, I'm pretty sure that messes up the grayscale tracking which is not a good thing.

Anyway, I tried turning ABG OFF and the problem was still there, so it made no difference.

Bogdan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.