Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After reading various posts, I purchased the Sony DA3ES receiver (couldn't afford the highly recommended 5ES). I am in the process of setting it up.

I know there were a lot of complaints on the missing "A/B" speaker selector, and that is where I am having my problem. I have my main room speakers, and as my 2nd room, I have deck speakers hooked in. But I can't get the deck speakers to produce sound.

I have checked the speaker wires - they are hooked in fine. I have my dvd/cd player hooked to the 3ES by optical connection. I have the 2nd room source selected as DVD/LD. And I have the switch on the front of the unit to main + 2nd room. Still nothing from the deck speakers.

I have tried hooking up the DVD player using a standard connection and still didn't have any luck with the deck.

What am I doing wrong? I need help - this is a major feature for me, and I can't put my room back together until I have it right.

ANY thoughts/comments/suggestions/instructions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
631 Posts
The second zone on every receiver I've looked at will only play from the analog inputs (vs. the digital). This would explain your initial problem. However, once you hooked up the analog connections, it should have worked.

Does the second zone have a separate volume and/or mute?

Otherwise, you might start looking for stupid mistakes (my specialty). I was wondering why I wasn't hearing my left channel after rearranging things the other day. Connecting the speaker wire helped a great deal.

Good luck,

--Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm guessing that there's something in the setup menu that allows you to choose between having surrounds or amplifying the output to the 2nd room. If you want to have both, you might need to use the line-level 2nd room outputs to separate amplification.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies! I'm going to play around with the menu systems some more today and see if I can get it working. I'll also re-check all my connections to see if I missed anything.

Thanks.

Marc

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have the receiver but I thought using zone two requires a second power source.

If you can't get it to work for you and are interested in using the receiver as if was the traditional A+B set-up, just purchase a speaker switch box. The way it works is you can run your main left and right wires into the switch box and from their you can take leads from the box to attach to 4 sets of speakers. There are buttons on the switch box that can allow you to play any combination or all of the speakers at one time. They also regulate the ohms so you won' have to worry about frying your receiver.

·
Registered
631 Posts
From looking at the back panel pics on Crutchfield, the 3ES has separate posts for the second room, and not pre-outs. The 5ES has pre-outs for room 2 and uses the center-rear and center for room 3.

It may be that the the second room posts of the 3ES are not active by default. The amps that drive them may also be the ones that drive the center and center-rear on in the main zone.

--Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back...and I've got them working! So, here are my thoughts:

2nd room (deck speakers): the way Sony has this set up is quite mind boggling. It is NOT easy to use. I eventually figured out that I have to press some sort of combination of buttons to begin to control the 2nd room speakers and adjust the volume. The "use mode" button isn't even usable with a finger - you need to press it with a pen tip or something. Once in 2nd Room mode, I have to adjust the volume using the remote control - apparently this was my main problem as I am guessing the preset volume on the 2nd room must be zero - but I couldn't see a volume meter - it's all just by listening. This isn't easy either considering the speakers are outside and you have to keep going back and forth until you have the correct level. Anyway, I have it working and know how to do it now. I believe there are also pre-outs to a second room if I had a second power source. But I don't - I'm just using the 2nd Room speaker connections for the deck. THANK YOU ALL for your advice.

General impression: I doubt I'm even close to having this thing tweaked the way I need it, but so far, it's great! I upgraded from a Sony de835 due to a lightning strike. I haven't noticed much of a power difference, but I can certainly tell that the movies I watch now sound clearer at higher volumes. That is a definite plus. With all the settings etc, I would imagine that I'll eventually have it sounding better. I currently do not use the receiver to pass video through it, but when I get HDTV hooked up this summer, it is an option - there are PLENTY of inputs/outputs on the back of this thing in my opinion, including some component hook-ups. Overall, I like it. I've been a big Sony fan for a while, and this certainly doesn't disappoint. I would have loved to get the 5es, but it was just too expensive for me.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Marc

·
Registered
631 Posts
It sounds like the button to switch modes is meant to be used as a more permanent selection. For instance, the 5ES comes with a second remote for the second/third room. Perhaps the recessed button on the 3ES remote is for people who want to dedicate the remote to the second room, with the use of an IR extender.

I have heard of people setting their remote zone volume to the max they will ever want it, then running the speaker wire through a volume control knob thingy (like a dimmer switch on the wall) out near their speakers. You can't select source, and control the CD player (or whatever), but it makes it easy to control the volume, and you won't leave your remote out in the rain by accident.

--Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.