AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally started to update my 13 year old system and bought the Sony DA4ES. I haven't had time to do anything but a basic set up.

When TV is selected as the audio source, the volume is extremly low. I have to crank it way up get sound. Then if I change to a CD I get blasted. Any way to level out the sound so when I change from the TV the sound is at the same level?

CD player/DVD needs to be upgraded and will take those suggestions particularly if they are part of the problem. I had an all Onkyo system and the CD player is the DX 1800 from 1991. Will go to a plasma TV, etc. getting a new component every other month.

I put off the cd/dvd purchase as I was hoping to utilize an HTPC in the system and use that so I could store all CD's on the computer. I am finding I don't have time and just better start upgrading or I will never do it.

Only will have a 5.1 system. Would appreciate how to maximize settings for a 5.1 system.

My wife complains about the size of speakers (still have the B&W 640 but am getting grief whenever she sees a BOSE ad) so I experimented by putting in a floor subwoofer from Parts Express and putting the speaker under the house so it looks like a heat register. Haven't had time to hook up the subwoofer so don't know how it will sound. Was going to use my old Onkyo 9700 receiver as an amplifier running the subwoofer out on the Sony to the main in on the old Onkyo. I suppose I should take the time to compare the sound to see the difference between receivers to better appreciate my purchase.

Searching the forum for DA4ES set up sure gets you a lot of information on power. I have a small room so that wasn't a concern and I will be sitting 7 to 8 feet away from the speakers. Set up is my concern.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, I dont have my TV setup like that, so I can't really help you out. If you want to be more specific on other setup issues, post em

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Ya normally on the TV you can go into setup and change the audio output to a fixed level.

These wife comments are always amusing, theres plenty of good looking speakers out there, if your B&Ws arent, no need to go for whats seen in an ad. Maybe go for visually appealing, as opposed to invisibly small.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As to you specific question of why the sound is so low when you switch to the TV, well it is likely as simple as the fact that at least with Sony you must either turn off the speaker on the tv first or set it to fixed like has been said. You won't need the tv spker after sarting up the da4es anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.