AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, first time poster, long time lurker.

I'm currently using a Sony DA5ES as my receiver and have been thinking about getting into something newer for the sake of HDMI, but am on something of a budget. I love the quality of sound my DA5ES puts out (I'm in a condo with a medium+ sized living room) and mostly listen to LP's, stream audio to my Airport Express plugged in via optical (so the amp's D/A's do the decoding) or SACD. I also use the TV exclusively through my Amp/Speakers. From an SQ standpoint, my main worries are the quality of the Phono Preamp on the Onkyo, and the quality of the D/A's for my streaming (full 1411kbps), any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If your Sony isn't dying, you might be better off waiting a bit longer...the HDMI 2.0 spec was recently updated, and HDCP 2.2 is just being implemented as well. Whether you wait or not, these are two things you should be looking at so you don't wind up having to upgrade again in a year.

I had the DA4ES until just a couple years ago. The old ES line sure sounded fantastic. It's a shame they don't make them like that anymore...

Look at the Marantz line of AVRs before you choose. IMO they sound closer to the old ES line than anything else out there today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your Sony isn't dying, you might be better off waiting a bit longer...the HDMI 2.0 spec was recently updated, and HDCP 2.2 is just being implemented as well. Whether you wait or not, these are two things you should be looking at so you don't wind up having to upgrade again in a year.

I had the DA4ES until just a couple years ago. The old ES line sure sounded fantastic. It's a shame they don't make them like that anymore...

Look at the Marantz line of AVRs before you choose. IMO they sound closer to the old ES line than anything else out there today.
My Sony is still A-OK, maybe I'll just bide my time until 4k is fully standardized and here in practical terms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts