AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the manuel is says if you are using a hdmi to connect the sony DAV-HDX285 to your tv you should still use the yellow video cable.why is this?Also I have a vizio vf550xvt tv and i have the optical out of the tv running to the optical in of the tv .Should I run the optical from the hd dvr box to the sony DAV-HDX285 instead and if so why and what setting do I have to change in the tv or cable box.The cable box is a motorola dcx3400.Thanx

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
Hi rave2173, IMO the only reason for this connection is maybe the OSD Setup Menu can only be display in 480i. Try to display OSD Setup Menu with only the HDMI cable. If it doesn't come up then thats the reason.

With only a Tv, cable box and DAV-HDX285, I would suggest cable box to Tv via HDMI cable and then cable box to HDX285 via Optical cable. This option would allow you to watch Tv with or without surround sound.

Now if you have other components (like xbox, PS3....) connected to Tv, then I suggest Tv to HDX285 via Optical cable instead. As I believe the Vizio Tv Optical Output is active when receiving audio with the programs being viewed no matter what Input is being used. Then go into the Tv menu and select "Speakers" and turn that to "OFF".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my vizio speakers off all the time .If i wanted to hear tv without surround sound i would just turn off the sony surround system and turn back on tv speakers or i set my sony to pro logic and if program isn't televised in 5.1 the sound only comes out my front senter speaker.If i connect optical from cable box to sony surround system do I have to go into cable box menu and change any audio settings that consist of tv speakers,stereo,or advanced.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
Cable box is normally set to "Auto" as default but most would set it to "Pass Through" when connected to an a/v receiver.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
With HDMI cable connected to Tv:

First turn "ON" your equipments (Tv and Cable box).

Power "OFF" the DCX3400 and then immediately press the "Menu" button on the front panel.

The "User Settings" menu will pop up.

Scroll down to "Additional HDMI Settings" option and press the > key

The "Additonal HDMI Settings" menu will pop up.

Scroll down to "Audio Output" and this is where to change the options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ok i gotcha now hey what is the setting l-pcm for?also do i have to do anything in the comcast main menu for audio settings?There you find in audio set up that says audio output and your choices are tv speakers, stereo, and advanced and in advanced you can set the compression from light to heavy,and change the stereo output from matrix to stereo do i need to change anything in here if i change it in the box settings?Also thanx alot for the info you have been great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one other question if i have my ps2 hooked to my tv then do run optical audio cable from cable box to sony home theater or does it have to come from tv to home theater?

·
Registered
9,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave2173 /forum/post/18249461

oh ok i gotcha now hey what is the setting l-pcm for?also do i have to do anything in the comcast main menu for audio settings?There you find in audio set up that says audio output and your choices are tv speakers, stereo, and advanced and in advanced you can set the compression from light to heavy,and change the stereo output from matrix to stereo do i need to change anything in here if i change it in the box settings?Also thanx alot for the info you have been great

No need to change anything at the Comcast "Audio Setup" menu as these settings are maining for analog audio output (RCA red & white ports). These settings does not effect the sound using digital audio output (Optical & Coax ports).

·
Registered
9,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave2173 /forum/post/18252121

one other question if i have my ps2 hooked to my tv then do run optical audio cable from cable box to sony home theater or does it have to come from tv to home theater?

See post #2 on recommendation.

Another option is to connect PS2 video (yellow) to Tv and PS2 audio (red & white) to DAV-HDX285. But I don't see a real point in doing this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so since i am running a sytem with a ps2 s-videod into the tv leave my set up hooked up as it is now. optical from tv to surround sound sytem .I have a setting in my audio menu on my tv that says digital audio out and my options are pcm or dolby digital.I have it set to dolby digital is this correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is pcm?and why would i set it to pcm instead of dolby digital?thanx again you have been extremely helpful

1 - 15 of 15 Posts