AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I watched 'Buena Vista Social Club' which was filmed in Digital BetaMax. I'm sure I've seen something else filmed in this before and just didn't know it.

Some of the images were astonishingly good. There was a depth of color and three dimensionality that I have only seen in the few minutes of HDTV I've seen.

Anyone know about this format?

Kelly

·
Registered
90 Posts
Were you watching the film from the actual source DigiBeta tapes? Or a video version on DVD, VHS, televised, taken from the master DigiBeta tapes?

DigiBeta is a super common format that television and film production companies use as stock for their material. It's much better than DV or miniDV because of it's wider colour resolution and picture resolution. It is however still video, and I much prefer the look of film. Even Super16 looks better than DigiBeta IMHO. I had to choose between DigiBeta or Super16 for a film project my production company was making last year and there wasn't any comparison. The Super16 material was much much better while not being exceedingly expensive from a production viewpoint. While it's very sharp and highly resolved there's no cheating most video into having the light and luminosity characteristics that film possesses.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter,

Thanks for the info.

I was watching the DVD of the movie, which was filmed in Digital BetaMax.

Most things about film I like better, but there were some characteristics that were really wonderful about this digital betamax film. For one, I don't think film tends to be as 3D as this footage was.

Kelly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was the movie shot at video frame-rate (60Hz) ? If yes they may have kept this rate for the DVD edition. The higher frame-rate of video provides a more "lifelike" feeling compared to the 24 frames/sec of movies, especially on big screens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.