Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts-

I have the Sony HD200 Directv STB and looking at the audio connections. It looks like they give me NO "digital coaxial" option...so I need an OPTICAL DIGITAL wire into my Dolby Digital receiver (only have ONE in the back of my receiver- labeled DVD/LD ). I guess I can use that connection though.

Two questions-

1) With the aforementioned scenario, is it "OK" to then use a "digital coaxial" wire from the receiver into the DVD ? (I would then have optical from STB to D.D. receiver, and coax digital from receiver to DVD ); and

2) Can you recommend a really good, but not "OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED" optical digital wire of about 5' ? (e.g. my "pain threshhold" on video for example, is the Monster 3 type quality).

Thanks a lot for input !:)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
1. That's fine.

2. Anything. It's a digital connection. I've yet to hear of one that did not work. The 1s and 0s either go through or they don't. Unless the cable is damaged they do. BTW, it's not a wire but light propagating cable usually made of plastic.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE

Can you recommend a really good, but not "OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED" optical digital wire of about 5' ? (e.g. my "pain threshhold" on video for example, is the Monster 3 type quality).

Wovernole,

What you're looking for is a Toslink cable. There are hundreds of sites that sell them. Shop around. The length you're looking for should go for $14 or less. Any site that advertises gold connectors on a Toslink cable, be suspicious of.

Most Toslink cables are made of plastic but you can get them in glass. You don't need it unless you're independently wealthy. If so then you can pay about $75 for that same length.

By the way, Recotron makes an optical switch for Toslink, should you ever need to put multiple optical connections into the one available on your Receiver.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I have never ventured into this optical digital (Toslink) stuff before, so I will be interested in noting the resulting effect.;)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It will be no different than digital coax.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Sony's new receiver manuals are recommending digital coax over optical... for whatever reason.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles R
Sony's new receiver manuals are recommending digital coax over optical... for whatever reason.
Charles-

Now THAT makes ABOLUTELY NO SENSE !!! No criticism to you, mind you. I am just saying that I was given NO OPTION by Sony on the HD200 box. They had NO "digital coax 'out' "...just optical-digital (referred to as Toslink) and thus my circumstance (read original thread).

Can you be more specific on how they stated the recommendation ? Most folks are "steering" me toward the Toslink. :confused:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE
Charles-

Now THAT makes ABOLUTELY NO SENSE !!! No criticism to you, mind you. I am just saying that I was given NO OPTION by Sony on the HD200 box. They had NO "digital coax 'out' "...just optical-digital (referred to as Toslink) and thus my circumstance (read original thread).

Can you be more specific on how they stated the recommendation ? Most folks are "steering" me toward the Toslink. :confused:
It doesn't matter. It's just two different ways of moving a data stream from one place to another. Either way works as well as the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.