AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a postcard today about the 5 free movies from the Summer promotion that I ordered in early October. It blames the delays on the studios being short of supply to fulfill the movies and sets a new ETA to ship them of February 22, with up to another 30 days to receive shipment.

So let's see, I have a confirmed, signed receipt that they received the order of October 17. It therefore took them 13 weeks to acknowledge (despite a promise to fulfill in up to 10 weeks) that they were late with fulfilling and it will take an estimates 22 weeks to receive 5 discs (I don't say "my" discs since I am likely to receive 5 random discs that I didn't ask for).

In the meantime, they are fulfilling the Fall orders for people who bought their players months after me (and frankly have much better titles to select from) in 4-6 weeks on average.

The truly amazing part is they had the gall in the postcard to suggest that I might want to consider canceling the order -- not substituting it, mind you, which they refuse to do, but just saying "no thanks, you don't need to send them" -- and they even supplied a pre-posted return card where we can acknowledge we don't want the order. So they have the time and energy and money to do all this, but not to actually fulfill the movies?

What bothers me most is the whole excuse for the delay is totally bogus. They claim they are waiting to get re-stocked on the movies but I have two fundamental problems with this:

1) How can they claim they are waiting to fulfill the movies as a reason for the delay when we know with a certainly they plan to randomly substitute other movies than what I selected anyway? When I spoke to a supervisor they even acknowledged this. But when I asked for the logic of claiming a delay if they substitute anyway, he said That's a really good point, but I don't have an answer for you. When I asked to speak to someone who did, he said there was no one in the organization (Archway, who does the fulfillment) who could. In fact, when I said It just sounds like an excuse then he actually said, Between you and me, you're right, but there's nothing I can do. When I volunteered to select substitutions, he said that was impossible. So I am supposed to wait 22 weeks to receive random movies they could have fulfilled any time. Great.

2) All of the titles I have selected are in ready supply everywhere. I have seen them all at the stores all the time and I just checked three online sites and they are all in stock everywhere. Every single one of them (except the one that is a Paramount title that they won't fulfill anyway). So the idea that they are waiting on stock is either a lie or the studios are refusing to fulfill them despite inventory. Heck, all the ones I ordered (except the Paramount one) are so readily in supply that they are being sold for $14.95 or $19.95 at Amazon, and you know they do that for the ones they are trying to unload excess stock on

I have tried speaking to Disney (who allegedly manages the program), Sony and the Blu-ray Disc Association and all of them completely disown any responsibility. They all say it is an Archway issue and Archway says it's a studio issue and that regardless they are not obligated to fulfill by any timeline or with any particular movies.

I think this is bad faith on everyone's part. These films were part of their sales process (they promoted up to $200 value even). I am left with a bad taste in my mouth for all the parties involved. And I could care less that the HD DVD's are having similar fulfillment issues. That doesn't justify it. If no one was receive movies because they were out of stock everywhere, fine. But there is no excuse to fulfill 3 week old orders while 13 week old orders sit collecting dust despite no intent to actually send the requested movies anyway. And if they can marshall the resources to send a postcard trying to get people to opt out of the program, they certainly could have figured out how to handle allowing them to substitute their orders.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
IBTL?

umm those are legit reason but thinking about it. Might go in the HD Software section.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
let's hope the issue with OP is the exception rather than the norm. kinda like when i ordered my meal at burger king, took my number went to sit, 10min later i go back to the counter to find out they somehow skipped my order.

·
Registered
134 Posts
got the same postcard in the mail today too!! funny thing, the online page where you can check say they mailed my movies 01/14/2008...I guess they meant the postcard!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Were any of your selections from Paramount?

IBTL? = In before the lock. Kind of a stupid phrase that every one seems to be using now. I guess they think it is really HaXor or what ever the phrase is. I prefer English myself, with a sprinkling of AV geek of course.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/12861595

Were any of your selections from Paramount?

IBTL? = In before the lock. Kind of a stupid phrase that every one seems to be using now. I guess they think it is really HaXor or what ever the phrase is. I prefer English myself, with a sprinkling of AV geek of course.

I put the ? next to mine because why would this be locked. It is legit concern and now other people are getting the same thing. If anything, wrong forum but even that is debatable.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Postcard doesn't mean much. I actually got my movies a week before the postcard came (it was HD not Blu but the same company does both).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same thing happened for the HD ones. Distribution companies fault, not Sonys, Disneys, Toshibas, etc.

Waiting 2 months for the HD offer, haven't even sent in the BD one.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'd rather not worry about, i'm buying some BDs now and if they get here they get here. I was planning on selling like 3 or 4 of them anyway, but i wouldn't be surprised because of all the bad experiences i've had with rebates for PC parts. These companies promise everything and always disappoint.

"If it's too good to be true, then it probably is"

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer a couple questions...

1) I called them yesterday, so I know mine haven't shipped regardless of the postcard.

2) There are a couple other posts. The consistent pattern is Fall promotion people are getting their discs relatively promptly. Summer promotion people who sent it in the last month or two of that previous promotion have been stuck waiting. When they do get their discs, some of them are randomly substituted. Consistent experience of those who call, even before they ship, is they refuse to allow users to select what movies are substituted. They even admit that they have this big bin of movies and the people just pull one out of the bin. It would be too inefficient to their process to allow any selection of the substitution.

3) Yes, as I said in my post, one of them was a Paramount title -- The Italian Job. That's why I know for certain it will be substituted. But why should I way around to get substituted anyway? I would rather just get random movies now or select from the Fall promotion titles.

4) I think it would be wrong to lock this thread, unless the discouse degenerates. I think anyone who looks at my history of posts will ee I am not a troll. I believe this is a legitimate topic and I think it is perfectly legitimate and not baiting to say that these parties should be ashamed. They are showing absolutely no integrity for their promotional promises or any respect for their customers.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswingle /forum/post/12861667

Same thing happened for the HD ones. Distribution companies fault, not Sonys, Disneys, Toshibas, etc.

If you send in the BD one, you will get yours before me. That is my point -- they are specifically screwing up the Summer people while doing fine for the Fall people.

As I said, I don't care that the HD DVD side is having the same problems or that it is a distribution company problem. The distribution company is a vendor of the studios and can be hired, fired, directed or penalized. The studios who promoted the deal to sell their products and who are supplying the content (which the distribution company claims they are waiting on) have the ultimate responsibility. The fact that they are aware of the problems -- for several months now -- are are doing nothing about it, while authorizing their vendor to send out post cards asking people to opt oout of the deal is totally on them. If I outsourced my job and they failed at it, I don't get to tell my boss that its not my responsibility. It would be very easy for Disney or Sony to insist that Archway allow people waiting to select substitutions or to say to automatically substitute with fall titles. They are electing not to do this.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I'm appalled Citivas. Your post is very informational and well written.

I have been waiting for months for my HD DVDs. I've given up hope. I never got the card or the opportunity(?) to cancel!

·
Registered
625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/12862376

If you send in the BD one, you will get yours before me. That is my point -- they are specifically screwing up the Summer people while doing fine for the Fall people.

yeah it is pretty messed up. You seem to be right considering I sent my offer in the first week of December and got them this past Monday. You would think they would have a way of handling the orders as they come in not pushing people further back. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/12862376

As I said, I don't care that the HD DVD side is having the same problems or that it is a distribution company problem.

You should care. You blamed the wrong people, and have evidence of that, yet haven't retracted that sentiment at all. Directing your frustration at the right people/party/entity is bound to get your problem solved faster.

Brandon

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswingle /forum/post/12861667

How is it not the fault of Sony, Disney etc..? The "distribution companies" are only working for the aforementioned names...they didn't initiate or promote the program. This is basically just a rebate with a different name..and everyone knows that rebates can be a crapshoot at best.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/12863067

You should care. You blamed the wrong people, and have evidence of that, yet haven't retracted that sentiment at all. Directing your frustration at the right people/party/entity is bound to get your problem solved faster.

Brandon

eh, the studios are the ones that are ultimately responsible. It's their names on the movie, it's Sony's name associated with the promotion. You're just splitting hairs.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP /forum/post/12863366

eh, the studios are the ones that are ultimately responsible. It's their names on the movie, it's Sony's name associated with the promotion. You're just splitting hairs.

Yes, let's blame Sony for the HD DVDs not being delivered. Makes great sense

Brandon

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/12863422

Yes, let's blame Sony for the HD DVDs not being delivered. Makes great sense

Brandon

Someone didn't read the thread.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/12863067

Brandon

How am I blaming the wrong people? First of all, the fulfillment company (Archway) works for the studios I am blaming. Is your opinion that this gives the studios a free pass because their sub is screwing up? I don't understand that logic at all. I would agree if it was a momentary thing and then the studios subsequently demonstrated good faith to try and rectify it. But they have known about this problem for MONTHS. There are even articles out there about it and statements from spokespersons. Once the studios recognize that they have a sub that is causing a problem, it becomes their responsibility to address the issue. Worst case, let's say that Archway says they don't have the resources under the current contract to fix it, the studios should step up and pay what it takes to fix it or take the work from Archway. And all that is giving the benefit of the doubt that it truly is an Archway problem and not that they are taking the heat, as vendors often do, for a direct studio problem, such as them holding back the discs to fulfill or having ordered them to proceed to fulfill the Fall people first, figuring they have already screwed the Summer people and they want to limit the number of people alienated further since the damage is done with us. Anything is possible but it doesn't matter since in every scenario, the studios are responsible.

Second, I clearly direct some of the blame to Archway, holding them responsible for not making an effort to allow people to opt for substitutions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts