AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've chosen an ISF calibrator to come out next week for my KDS-50a2000. I didn't think to ask him before, but is it possible to do the calibration on the custom display mode and to reprogram vivid and standard so that I could use them for different room lighting conditions? Right now I use custom for everything, except for standard on the Xbox 360. By changing the user settings on my own I've rarely been able to get the different display modes to look very similar to each other so that I could set one brighter for daylight.

The other thing I didn't think to ask the calibrator about was:

If you really want ... it is possible to do the grayscale for HD signals too by reprogramming one of the 4 color temp settings.

So you just have to remember to keep changing the color temp setting based on the material you watch on TV. - Michael TLV from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768200

I thought from the TV menu settings that the TV dealt with the different colorspaces of SD and HD. Most of what I watch is in HD anyway, so I'd probably just leave everything usually set for HD. Is this SD/HD worth asking him about? Probably the biggest chance of me watching much SD would be DVDs on the Toshiba HD-XA2. Would it make sense to ask about having one of the picture modes on the player set for HD and one for SD?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The tv has the ability to have custom ... vivid and standard all reprogrammed at the user level for what whatever you need really.

If you optimize neutral as the correct grayscale ... you can assign neutral as the default grayscale for custom ... vivid and standard ...

You can then elect to boost vivid ... a bit in light output for instance .. and save it ...

boom boom boom

vivid becomes the day mode ... and custom is still the optimal mode.

Regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Totally agree with Michael. When the calibration folks gets there, tell them you need calibration set ups for various situations. Since most Sony TV's have independent memory for each of the input / mode combinations, you will want to start with a dark (night time / movie) setting and a bright (day time / sports) setting, which leaves you with two or three more modes (Vivid, Movie, Pro, etc) left for each input. So think about what you watch on TV, when you watch it, and what source is it coming from. Try to break this down into different buckets / groups and these become your input / mode combinations that you will need to get the calibration person to set up for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.