AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess i have to start this discussion.

Details:

* 2-piece system includes one transmitter and one receiver

* lets you send high-definition video and audio wirelessly from your A/V components to a compatible Sony BRAVIA TV or projector in the same room

* supports video resolution up to 1080i

* 65-foot transmission range

* system operates in the 5GHz frequency band

* multibrand remote control operates DMX-WL1, compatible A/V components, and Sony BRAVIA TVs

* transmitter unit:

o 5 high-def A/V inputs (4 HDMI, 1 component video)

o optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital/DTS® (maximum bitrate is 3Mbps)

o 3 IR blaster outputs for remote control of compatible A/V components connected to the transmitter unit (cables included)

o AC power adapter

o 8-1/4"W x 2"H x 10"D

* receiver unit:

o can be placed horizontally or vertically, or mounted to the back of a compatible Sony BRAVIA TV

o HDMI output (cable included)

o AC power adapter

o TV mounting bracket and wall bracket included

o 7-1/2"W x 1-3/8"H x 6-3/4"D

Manual:

http://media.onecall.com/Image_Produ...structions.pdf

This seems like a significant development because:

1. It could potentially allow multiroom HDMI, component, and IR transmission if additional DMX-WL1R are added. I cannot confirm but i suspect the tranny and receiver are not paired. A Niles or similar multi-IR-eye gizmo may allow control of multiple remote components.

2. It can send 1080i via HDMI HDCP.

3. Seems to plug into an HDMI port on the TV without DMXe, so it could potentially be used on any display. Again, someone needs to confirm this.

4. It could potentially work with Harmony Remote, about the only cheap smart remotes out there.

I personally cannot justify shelling out this kind of dough when my 3 Muxlab 500050 component and digital baluns (T joined via cat5e splitter) deliver excellent HD to my living and bedrooms from the batcave system with Jensen IR trannys and a receiver paired with a Niles IR (5 eyes) distribution system.

Barely came out, streeting already 25% off, marketed 0% for such an innovative product, classic in line with the brand's tradition xxxxup

Lets hope they designed it right, otherwise dealing with the script readers at the Laredo Service Center could make you crave Cymbalta.

Beta testers please post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been "beta" testing it for a few months now.

It definitely degrades the picture quality and doesn't transmit the exact signal. So you don't want to use it to connect to your projector.

The IR blaster on it is useless. It will only blast to certain equipment using its remote. I use an X10 Powermid along side it.

However, it did solve a problem I was having - how to extend my HD DVR into my game room from my theater. The quality is good enough for that.

The instructions list devices that it is compatible with. My HDTV is not on the list. But it works. I suspect it will work with any HDTV that is HDCP compliant.

As far as I can tell, it will only pass 2 channel linear PCM audio. Make sure that if you split your HDMI signal that you handshake it first with your cable box, otherwise, you may not get audio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am thinking of buying the DMX-WL1 to go with my new Sony lcd and my Tivo. I can't run my cable wire to where I want to place the new tv so this is my solution. Hopefully it will work. The cable wire will go into the Tivo and the Tivo will use the DMX-WL1 to broadcast to the TV which will be about 4 ft away.

Any thoughts on this setup StewieGriffin?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot21 /forum/post/15881986

I am thinking of buying the DMX-WL1 to go with my new Sony lcd and my Tivo. I can't run my cable wire to where I want to place the new tv so this is my solution. Hopefully it will work. The cable wire will go into the Tivo and the Tivo will use the DMX-WL1 to broadcast to the TV which will be about 4 ft away.

Any thoughts on this setup StewieGriffin?

It should work fine. I've run mine from my media room upstairs to my family room downstairs on the other side of the house with no dropouts. (About 30 feet, a very tall ceiling and a few walls in the way)

Just note that this device degrades the picture quality slightly. You'll get the best quality if you can hide the wire somewhere, even if you have to cut a few small holes in your wall. Also note that I can only get mine to pass 2 channel linear PCM audio, so if you want to use the virtual surround feature on your TV, it won't work well.

If I'm not mistaken, Belkin's Flywire should be shipping very soon - it may be a better solution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know for certain if the transmitter could/would transmit to a second DMXWL1 receiver? My desired set up is:

1. Living Room: Sony Bravia Z4100 with Dish Network DVR, Sony Stereo Receiver, Roku box, Sony DVD player, and one DMXWL1 transmitter.

2. Bedroom: Sony Bravia Z4100 and DMXWL1 receiver.

3. Den: Sony Bravia Z4100 and DMXWL1 receiver.

I'd like to transmit the DVR, Roku and Sony DVD signals using the DMXWL1 transmitter from the living room to the Z4100 in my bedroom, and ALSO to the Z4100 in my den.

I'm fine with having to watch whatever is on in the living room (simultaneous).

If this IS possible with an two (or more) DMXWL1 receivers connected to just one DMXWL1 transmitter, am I correct in assuming that I'd need to first split the HDMI signals from the living room components before connecting them via HMDI to the DMXWL1 transmitter, as I'd also want the living room components to be connected to the living room Z4100 directly over HDMI.

I guess I also need to figure out how I control the Dish DVR, Roku and Sony DVD (that is in the living room) from my bedroom and den, but I was hoping that somehow the DMXWL1 receivers could actually receive commands from my Harmony remotes in my bedroom and den (I have a Harmony in bedroom and another Harmony in den) and relay the commands to the DMXWL1 transmitter in the living room?

Thanks for any insight you could provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had one of the old Location-Free TVs. The advent of HD made it obsolete, so I bought a DMX-WL1 so I could distribute a HDMI signal to multiple TVs, namely a small portable set. I have been successful in distributing very acceptable video to a TV via the DMX-WL1 but so far unsuccessful with the audio portion of the signal. I assumed that any HDMI-capable TV would work, although Sony does not say so. The two TVs that I have tried are a relatively new 19” Samsung and a brand new 19” Bravia.

My setup is as follows:

1. HD signal via HDMI from satellite box to Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver CBL/SAT HDMI input;

2. Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI OUT to Gefen 1:4 HDMI splitter;

3. Splitter out to DMX-WL1 HDMI 1 + 2 TVs connected via HDMI cable.

Subsequently, I have read that compatibility is limited to Bravia televisions that have XMB menu or Panel menu system but StewieGriffin’s post says, “The instructions list devices that it is compatible with. My HDTV is not on the list. But it works. I suspect it will work with any HDTV that is HDCP compliant.”

Perhaps the StewieGriffin’s comment in his post is the answer to my problem, “As far as I can tell, it will only pass 2 channel linear PCM audio. Make sure that if you split your HDMI signal that you handshake it first with your cable box, otherwise, you may not get audio.”

If so, what is entailed in executing the handshake between the splitter and the signal source; and is it possible that the Onkyo’s output is video only since the audio at the hardwired location goes directly from the receiver to the speakers?

Perhaps logic suggests that I should revise the connections as follows, although I’m sure I tried this unsuccessfully without handshake between satellite box and splitter:

1. Satellite box to splitter (with handshake);

2. Splitter to receiver + splitter to DMX-WL1 + splitter to hardwired second TV;

3. Receiver to hardwired TV that uses receiver audio system.

Would appreciate any advice on this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been running my setup since February and things seem to be working out great (KDL-42V4100 & DMX-WL1). I had some audio problems where the sound dropped out but I think I worked that out by finding a good spot for the receiver. Overall I am happy and I think the setup is better than having someone drill holes in my walls and run cable.

My big problem now is the remote is not the best when it comes to using a Tivo. My Tivo is hidden in a cabinet so I am using the remote that comes with the DMX-WL1 and it's really a pain to use. I am hoping to get a Harmony remote and see if that works. Anyone get a Harmony working?

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot21 /forum/post/16846598

I have been running my setup since February and things seem to be working out great (KDL-42V4100 & DMX-WL1). I had some audio problems where the sound dropped out but I think I worked that out by finding a good spot for the receiver. Overall I am happy and I think the setup is better than having someone drill holes in my walls and run cable.

My big problem now is the remote is not the best when it comes to using a Tivo. My Tivo is hidden in a cabinet so I am using the remote that comes with the DMX-WL1 and it's really a pain to use. I am hoping to get a Harmony remote and see if that works. Anyone get a Harmony working?

I'm using the Harmony 890 (RF) with the DMX in my bedroom. Works great. No other Harmony currently has RF (which you need to go through walls/cabinets). One thing to keep in mind is that the Harmony will not control the DMX. My solution to this is to leave the DMX on all the time. Only sporadically do I need to use the DMX remote to turn the until off/on when it has lost connection. So far, I'm pretty pleased with my set up. No audio issues, and only minimal noise. I dont think the color is quite as 'right' as it is via direct HMDI, but quite an acceptable picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts