AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am very confused. I want to hook up an old pc running Ubuntu 15.04 with a radeon 9550 graphics card that only has dvi and vga. With a soundblaster live! card which ubuntu claims has the ability to handle s/pdif and the usual composite ports, to a vizio tv and a sony dn-1050

so I was wondering how to do this effectively to get KODI ( latest version 15 I think) to get me a great viewing experience. I "thought" I could just get a dvi/hdmi convertor and connect the graphics card to the tv ( no audio) and use the s/pdif function to connect to the dn-1050 and hopefully get 5.1 sound.

ANY help would be excellent, I have never hooked a pc up to sony dn 1050 before and want to use this old machine.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Just replace the video card with something newer (around $20) if it's not AGP. If PC has no PCIe slot than what you propose should work with just lossey 5.1 if you have drivers to support those cards. Does the sound blaster have an optical port?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just replace the video card with something newer (around $20) if it's not AGP. If PC has no PCIe slot than what you propose should work with just lossey 5.1 if you have drivers to support those cards. Does the sound blaster have an optical port?
Hey Rekbones

first of all thank you for your reply and advice BUT it's a dell gx260 I am retasking and only has AGP. Seems like it's a poor choice and I should just retask another machine with a hdmi card in it and connect that to the Sony DN 1050 for the audio BUT I don't see how to get the video to my trusty Vizio. You got any ideas? Is it just to configure the DN 1050 to out put the video to an input hdmi on the vizio. This is all so confusing :)

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Get a DVI to HDMI cable and use an HDMI input on the Sony, run a HDMI cable from HDMI out of Sony to Vizio. Run optical cable from sound card to an optical port on Sony. Configure Sony to pass through video and use optical for audio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts