AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried pitting the iScan Pro against Sony's internal (DRC) line-doubler ???

I am especially interested in the iScan Pro's performance with poor quality (highly compressed DSS) signals.

My XBR-400 with DRC looks great with good inputs like DTV & DVD,

but alas, much of its use is with DSS and this is where DRC falls on its face !

Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yeah, the answer is that ANYTHING would be better than DRC with DSS. Buy the Iscan w/a 30-day MBG and, if you like it, keep it. If not, send it back.

I recently saw the DRC with DSS and I found it completely unwatchable.

Mark

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Someone on the forum stated Roger Galvin's G90 had the best DSS he had ever seen using the G90's DRC. I would think a properly set up G90 with a 96-100" wide screen would magnify any faults unless the DRC did at least a fairly good job. I can't imagine Roger would tolerate a bad picture, no matter what the source.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, I don't know Roger Galvin and I've never seen a G90. I have seen a number of Sony DRC-based sets being fed DSS and all are completely unwatchable. Now, if you are talking about HBO or PPV, maybe it's different because those channels get a lot of bandwidth. I am talking about networks and sports. The artifacts are disgusting. Everything that is wrong with DSS gets made 10x worse by DRC.

If you don't want to believe me and want to feed DSS into a DRC-equipped set, fine. I will hope that the DirecTV bandwidth upgrades that are slated for Jan/Feb make the DRC (a bad technology, IMO) less objectionable.

Mark

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the iScan Pro for use with my Sony 36XBR400 and it seems to do exactly what I had hoped it would.

Now, with the hoary DRC circuit out of the way, DSS artifacts are minimized, especially with high-contrast hockey and rapid movement scenes.

Football games have more realistic -looking grass as opposed to the stuff I used to see with DRC.

DVD improvements so far seem more subtle but it's too early to tell much there - maybe need to see that little blue light (3:2 pull-down happenin'!) come on a few more times yet.

Thanks for guidance.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.