AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony DVD recorder model RDR-GX355 and it does not have a remote. Before I take it back, is it possible to make my Comcast remote do all the functionality that I will need?

My Comcast remote has the grey OK/Select button in the center. I have programmed it with a couple of 4-digit codes that have not worked, including 1759. On a couple of codes, I can see that the remote has communicated with the device since the readout on the device changes to "DVD 3" with some of the codes, but none perfectly. In one case, I tried the 994 command with it thinking that I could use the codes here:

hifi-remote cot com/sony/Sony_dvd

but it didn't work. I have not reset it since then (I don't know if this matters).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
When the dvdr sees codes that are "DVD 1", which are the only ones in the comcast remote, it informs you that dvdr is actually set to "DVD 3" codeset. If you had the oem sony remote, you could go into the menu and switch the DVDR to codeset DVD1, and then the comcast remote would work. But without the original remote, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You're in somewhat of a Catch-22 situation here. Sony DVD-R units seem to come set to respond to DVD3 ir code set. Your Comcast remote only has built in setup codes for DVD1 ir code set, (AUX/1758 would be one of the them). If you had a remote that can send DVD3 code set you would be able to go to the system menu in the DVD recorder and set it to DVD1 so that you can use your Comcast remote. Of course, the reason you need to change to DVD1 code set is because you don't have a remote that can send DVD3 code set.

There are a couple of things I can think of that you might be able to do (other than borrowing a Sony DVD recorder remote from somewhere to change your device to DVD1 code, as Edmund mentioned). It seems the newer version of the Comcast remote (the one with the red "OK" button) does have a setup code for DVD3 set (AUX/21070). Maybe you can ask Comcast to exchange your remote. Another way is to get a JP1.2 cable so you can add the upgrade for DVD3 code set to your remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just so everyone knows, the Comcast remote with the red ok/select center button is the answer. It has the capability to use the DVD3 codes etc. Much thanks to Kupakai.

By the way, Kupakai, is it Ku' pah-kye, or ku-PAH'-kye?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts