AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Theatertek or Zoom Player with the Raviscent filters stack up against a top notch consumer DVD player such as the Sony DVP-9000ES?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Consumer players are generally better at deinterlacing video (30 fps) material.

Either of the top two S/W players (TT or ZP with your favourite decoders, Sonic or Windvd4/5 or ??) will, generally speaking, allow you to get a MUCH better picture. Not specifically because of the MPEG decoder but because you can add ffdshow post-processing and play it back at HD resolutions, i.e. your HTPC is also a scaler.

Once you've seen the output of a good HTPC there's no going back.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The only hardware based (STB) players that can hold a candle to the TheaterTek/Sonic/ffdshow combo are the very high end players that basically scale up to 1080i as they output the signal. Even these however offer little in the way of tweaking ability. I use ffdshow to scale the native DVD image all the way up to 1920x1080p and then apply sharpen filters etc. The final step is to output the signal as interlaced 1080i (to match mt display device) which is done by my Radeon card and the overall results are just jaw dropping. Everyone that sees it can't believe their eyes, I would say on some of the best quality DVD's it's 85% as good as the best HD material.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
mshan,

People have been kicking this around for a while so you might want to do some searches to see some older threads. I guess most people say that HTPC leaves DVD stand alone players in the dust. That was and probably is my current thinking, but I do have some doubts.

The first issue is are you using digital dispaly or analog display, and the second issue is what input are you using (DVI, RGB, component).

Digital devices and DVI

There is a thread in this forum (or mabey rear projection forum) started by Arun Gupta where Arun tested his ATI based HTPC against Bravo D1 player that can output 720p signal. Both were connected to his 50" Samsung DLP. He ran some pro test patterns and concluded that HTPC does 10 of 10 and D1 does 7 of 10. I am not sure how would other hi-end players with DVI and 720p hold up to HTPC. I'd say they might get closer to HTPC, especially since in digital domain FFDShow processing generaly does not yield better results.

Analog devices and RGB

Generally agree with Rich, with one caution. New generation of DVD players with 12 bit DACs and 480p or 1080i output could arguably be better that HTPCs with 10 bit DACs, FFDShow processing and 1080i output resolution. Some $3,000+ top-noch players with 108 MHz, 4:4:4, 14 bit Video DAC wiht 4x oversampling on progressive mode and 8x on interlace mode would probably blow away HTPCs. Even more so when you look at generally poor test results of VGA output quality of 73 video cards. See link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...ighlight=Matrox

Having said that, there is a thing called MP-1 mod for video cards, and at relatively low cost (compared to cost of reference level scalers and DVD players) of $350 (I could be wrong so check if you are interested) per mod you get significantly improved video performance. I am not sure how would MP-1 hold to top level DVD players.

Not sure in what category your system goes and how you want to compare it, but at least I gave you some material and food for thought.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vpopovic

Analog devices and RGB

Generally agree with Rich, with one caution. New generation of DVD players with 12 bit DACs and 480p or 1080i output could arguably be better that HTPCs with 10 bit DACs, FFDShow processing and 1080i output resolution.

Good luck.
Don't forget that the DVD / macrovision licensing prohibits component outputs from higher resolutions than 480P AND most new HDTVs come with DVI and component inputs (as opposed to VGA) so 12 bit DACs aren't going to help much.

DAC resolution is only one piece of the pie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.