AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker until now, but have a question, so I have to come out of the woodwork. :)

It's new, obviously, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience/comments on the Sony DVP-CX777ES? I've searched the web and found virtually nothing, so I'm hoping someone here has something to say. I've been looking for a mega-changer for a while, and have looked at the pricy Kenwood, but have been thinking about the Sony DVP-CX985V. The 777ES seems a nice compromise in price, and I'd be interested in any comments you all might have.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I saw it at CEDIA. It would appear to have the best build quality of any changer out there, and Sony has never disappointed from a video standpoint.

While I have the Kenwood Sovereign changers, and love them, the Sony will do SACD (which no other changers will), although it doesn't do DVD-Audio (which the Kenwood does).

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am also interested in the DVP-CX77ES because it plays SACD's in addition to DVD's and it can be controlled by the ARQ hard drive music server. This will alow me to have my 16 bit CD's on a hard drive and still have reasonable access to my SACD's

Al

·
Registered
269 Posts
I read that the DVP-CX77ES has the ability to read Jacket Art once the disc is entered into the changer--and if the art isn't available, you can create your own art by freezing any scene of the DVD. I really cool feature I think which somewhat combines the feature of a changer and "entre" product into one. Does anyone know how much other info the Sony is able to display--actors, movie description, etc.?

I am really interested to know if the Jacket Art feature also works for CDs?

Since it plays both, it would be nice if the Jackets of CDs could also be displayed or created if the image is not available--perhaps through the RS-232 via computer or otherwise.

Otherwise the look is great and seems real solid. Would be interesting to hear/see a side by side comparison with the Kenwood DV-5900M. If it only had DVD-audio as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve*MH
I read that the DVP-CX77ES has the ability to read Jacket Art once the disc is entered into the changer--and if the art isn't available, you can create your own art by freezing any scene of the DVD. I really cool feature I think which somewhat combines the feature of a changer and "entre" product into one. Does anyone know how much other info the Sony is able to display--actors, movie description, etc.?

I am really interested to know if the Jacket Art feature also works for CDs?

Since it plays both, it would be nice if the Jackets of CDs could also be displayed or created if the image is not available--perhaps through the RS-232 via computer or otherwise.

Otherwise the look is great and seems real solid. Would be interesting to hear/see a side by side comparison with the Kenwood DV-5900M. If it only had DVD-audio as well.

Thanks.
As I recall, this has been a feature of the Sony DVD changers since they went to 300 disc changers (the first was a 200 disc changer). I have, at various points, owned every DVD changer made by Sony. This may be part of what they call the Disc Explorer system.

It was, to the best of my recollection, not much better than worthless. There were only a few discs that had the cover art encoded on them, and I think they had to be Columbia titles anyway (Sony). Otherwise, you had to stick with some generic--and very hokey--image, such as the caricature of someone lauging (comedy) and such. I don't think I ever used it with CDs, so I can't say whether any had cover art encoded. You could, though, freeze a scene from the movie and use it as cover art.

The worst part about the other Sony changers was the Disc Explorer user interface. Clunky, snail-slow . . . the most user-unfriendly of any DVD changer I've seen.

However, each Sony I had excelled where it counted--the video and audio performance. There were plentiful video adjustments that are usually not found in current-generation players.

All of that said . . . those problems go away with a vengeance, if you only add the Escient unit to control it. But that's a $2,000 MSRP unit.

Nick :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.