AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't really seen any threads here for this player, but since I just picked one up, I may as well start it off. I just received mine today, charging it up and testing out a few DVDs on it. So far, it's been quite nice, and may need help in calibrating the screen to get it out of "torch" mode, and into a more battery-conserving, yet viewable picture quality mode.

Here's the official information from Sony about this portable DVD player:

Sony Portable DVD Player DVP-FX930

- High resolution images at 800x480

- 180 degree swivel and flip screen

- Touch-sensitive buttons below the screen

- 6-hour lithium-ion battery life

- Dual Remote Sensors and Remote Control can be used from both sides

- Compatible with most recorded DVD discs (DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, Dual-Layer, CDs, MP3s, etc...)

- Comes in a variety of colors: Black, Red, Blue, Pink, White

- Dual headphone ports, AV in/out, car and DC powered for charging battery

All owners of this player are welcome to share any pros, cons, questions, comments, concerns, or the like. I'm also especially open to those who have some good calibration settings for this unit, too. So far I find it to be worth the purchase, and will give me a good amount of enjoyment during the rest of summer, and possibly beyond. That's all about me, let's hear from the community about your thoughts about this player.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought one of these back in May for a trip involving lots of airport/airplane time, and it exceeded my expectations. I'd considered purchasing a portable DVD player for a while, but never saw any with universally positive reviews that also claimed good battery life and durability. Frankly I had decided that none of the models available from any manufacturer were worth the cost.

But this unit lived up. I can't recall the exact settings, but I think screen brightness can be set between 1 and 10, but whatever it was I put mine right in the middle or a tick below and reached the 6 hour mark. The dual headphone jack was convenient, and for a portable device I was impressed by both the video and audio quality.

It does take a while to charge, but that's fine with me if the battery lasts, which it does. It was also nice to be able to plug in the unit waiting at the gate and watch a movie before the flight without draining the battery.

FYI, I haven't used the player for any other purpose besides on-the-go DVD playing. I didn't test any other disc format or try hooking it up to a tv. I got it for a decent price on Amazon, and feel it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been looking to get a player for my wife for Xmas.

We have a tivo connected to our computer with tivo desktop. I have a playstation portable which I transfer my tivo shows on to and watch them during my train ride to work and when I go on travel.

I was looking to get her a player for her to be able to watch recorded tivo shows on that also plays DVDs. I checked out some of the PVP's but the screen sizes are too small.

How does this player play recorded DVDs? Has anyone put recorded tivo TV shows on a DVD and watched them on this player?

·
Registered
508 Posts
philter25 - It sounds like you are not too concerned about playing DVDs, just about screen size. If that's the case, why don't you look at a Netbook?

You can get an Dell for around $300 that has a similar screen size, or even a discontinued Asus 900 Netbook for around $200. They will play all your recorded shows, and if you want to play recorded DVDs you can either buy an external DVD drive, or rip the disk to DIVX format.

I have a original ASUS Netbook that I use to watch movies when I am travelling. Being a computer, it also allows me to check mail and surf the web. I also have a DVD player, but gave up using it a long time ago, the Netbook is so much more flexible, and takes up much less space, mainly because you need to carry a DVD case with the player, which can be almost as big as the player itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^ Thanks for the reply. Currently, we have an old Samsung portable DVD player but its rather chunky, has horrible sound, and the battery pack sticks out of the back and any bump dislodges the battery so I was looking to see if there was something that can replace that DVD player, AND play our recorded TiVo shows.

My wife currently has a laptop, but I was looking for something smaller and more portable that she can take on a daily basis on the train to work. We have an hour commute together and I usually watch a family guy episode or two and play some video games so I was looking to get her something to entertain her.

A netbook is a good suggestion, its a little more pricy than what I was looking for after you add in the DVD drive, but I could also get the CD/DVD external drive and it would accomplish being able to watch DVD's on travel and able to watch tivo recorded shows.

Ideally, I would love to find a DVD player that has a small hard drive to read files. I found a coby DVD player that can read files off a thumbstick, but the reviews were poor so I decided that getting a good DVD player was the most important because I could put our TiVo shows on a DVD RW CD and watch them on that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Asus Netbook is really small, half the size of a laptop. The dimensions from Amazon are 6.7 x 8.9 x 0.8 inches, 2.2 pounds for the Asus Netbook, and 6.5 x 8.9 x 1.8 inches, 2 pounds, for the Sony DVD player.

If you look around you can get some great deals, my buddy got an Asus 900 on Woot for $150.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just bought the Sony DVP-FX930 myself from Newegg. I must admit it's a soild unit. I owned a older Samsung DVD-L760 (3 years old) This was a 7" 480x234 with progessive scan screen & had a 4.2 hour battery. I really wanted to keep it, but the battery was dying a slow death & couldn't get more then 1.5 hours out of her on a single charge. Plus on top of that, a new battery was $72.00 plus $10.00 shipping. Which is what lead me to the DVP-FX930.

The picture quailty is outstanding @ 800x480! The only downside is no USB port. The EU FX930 appears to have all the bells & whistles, unike the USA model. Another thing is I don't care for the placement of the playback controls myself. It's @ the bottom of the screen & I prefer them up front near the DVD tray. Other then that, it has the best picture quailty out of any portable DVD to date. I was leaning towards the Panasonic DVD-LS86 w/ 8.5" screen (same price by $10.00) with it's 13 hour battery (I'm told it's more like 9 hour) but it really has a very average picture quality.

I decided to buy an additional battery pack @ partstore.com. The downside is it's $105.00 with free shipping. I take long business trips (6-9 hours sometimes) & I need the additional minutes. My hope is she'll last 5 years & I'm sure I'll need to move on @ that point.

I haven't had time to tweak the picture settings yet, but I'll chime back once I do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just replaced my Toshiba SD-P2900 with a Sony FX930. The Toshiba developed stress cracks in the hinges and the lock on the lids broke. Luckily I bought a SquareTrade warranty and they refunded my purchase price.

I almost went with a third Toshiba unit was opted for the 930 as a change of pace.

In a fit of overkill.. I ran Avia on the FX930's LCD and only had to tweak the hue to -1. Beyond that the factory settings were Avia approved!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts