AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeking answer from anyone who has owned a Sony DVP-NS75H and replaced it with a Sony DVP-NS700H -- where both units were connected to a 1080P screen through a HDMI cable.

Have you noted any video or Hardware improvement and/or any cons?

Thank you,

current screen Panasonic th-46PZ85U connected to DVP-NS75H, very satisfied, but noted the DVP-NS700H upscales to 1080P where as the DVP-NS75H max at 1080i.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I never tried the Sony 75H, but did try the 85H multi-disc version, and have used the 77H, 700H and Pioneer 400V & 410V. If you're lookin to upgrade, the one I'd currently recommend from among these is probably the Pioneer 410V.

It's been awhile since I used the 85H, but if memory serves, there were two things about it's PQ that I didn't particularly like. It did not pass full vertical detail (e.g. on DVE's multiburst test) in the HD modes, and there was some horizontal edginess to the picture that bothered my eyes. Consequently I passed on that model.

The 700H appears to be basically a clone of the 77H (the player I've used for the last 6 months), with just some minor cosmetic changes to some of the menus, and buttons on the front panel. It looks and sounds the same as the 77H though in all my tests. Both are excellent players, and do a great job on most DVDs.

All 4 of the most recent Sony/Pio players have very similar basic PQ. But the Pioneer 410V does a better job of reducing combing on some poorly edited 90's TV shows, and has these other features that the Sonys lack:

- Gamma control

- Better Sharpness adjustment (the Sonys' sharp settings produce more obvious ringing, and the Pio also provides a softening option)

- Better virtual surround sound via the stereo RCA audio outputs

- 480i via HDMI

- USB input

- DivX support

- More playback controls on front panel

The 410V also made the following improvements over 400V units I tested:

- Better deinterlacing

- Somewhat quieter "hum" during playback (this may be somewhat subjective on my part)

- Better DVI compatibility

- Better gamma control

- More reliable 4:3 settings for HD modes

To be fair, the Sony 77H & 700H also have a few features that the Pioneers don't, including:

- Better pause mode (paused video frames look more jagged on the 400V/410V)

- Optical audio output

- A/V delay setting

- Bravia Sync

- Slightly more quiet/pleasant "hum" during playback (again somewhat subjective)

And one thing I can't really comment on is long-term reliability/durability of the Pio compared to the Sony, since I've only used the 410V for a few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the in-depth reply.

Once all movies are available in Blu-ray I will make the switch, but for now I'm sticking with standard def. I recently replaced my 480 with a 1080P and wondered if I would notice any improvement with a newer standard def player - I have owned several brands of disk players (DVD & CD) and have always found the Sony's to be the most reliable - with respect to durability and expectations of functions and features desired. My focus regarding the 700H has to do with it's inexpensive price and just that it's newer - otherwise my 75H is still providing acceptable viewing and sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts