AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 999 have the same/better advanced picture adjustments as the 9000 ?

Background:

I have just borrowed a friend's Sony 9000 SACD/DVD player to feed component into my Holo3D card in my HTPC, then out to my JVC SX21 via DVI. Naturally, the 9000 "blows away" the 2 very inexpensive Pioneer DVD players I have at my disposal. Of great benefit to the 9000 is its vast array of picture controls within its setup. However, I want to buy a multi-channel SACD/DVD player, preferably the 999 or upcoming Yamaha DVD-S2300 MK2, and eventually have it SDI modifed to feed my Holo3D card.

thanks - Andy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Andy--

This is my first time to hear of a "MK 2" 2300. Where did you hear about it and do you know what the difference from current 2300s is supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A local dealer mentioned the DVD-S2300 MK2 last week and that it will be shipping in the summer. He did not know anything of it either.

Also, an acquaintance in Montreal mentioned that his local dealer mentioned a MK2 that will be available this summer.

From its review, it had great SACD performance, but poor CD & DVD-A performance. Hopefully they are improving upon this.

- Andy

·
Registered
285 Posts
The c-bug in the 999 seems easy to spot for some, not so easy for others. I haven't had a problem with it. Others, especially those with very big projector screen seem to have an easier time finding it. The picture quality is actually pretty decent. You have to start analizing things to find any weaknesses.

It seems that some folks are obsessed with the bug. For most, if you are watching the movie you don't see it.

There are new models from several manufacturers that don't have the bug. They would be worth checking out. But if you will be using them for music as well, you should take that into consideration. Both the 999 and the 9000 are very good audio players.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, its progressive abilities are of no interest to me, as the Holo3D card does its own deinterlacing via the FLI2200.

I am looking for a player with great non-interlaced abilites, and great colour control. However, my desire for these colour controls may be totally irrelevant once I get it SDI modified. The SDI "board" sits right before the MPEG decoder ands transmits the digital video stream to the Holo3D's SDI input. I am after a totaly digital picture chain, but I woud like multi-channel audio while I am at it to. For now , I may stick with the 9000 has it works great with my setup, won't deppreciate much more, then hold off for something like the Yamaha 2300MK2 or the new Denon uni-players.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Saylor
The c-bug in the 999 seems easy to spot for some, not so easy for others. I haven't had a problem with it. Others, especially those with very big projector screen seem to have an easier time finding it. The picture quality is actually pretty decent. You have to start analizing things to find any weaknesses.

It seems that some folks are obsessed with the bug. For most, if you are watching the movie you don't see it.

I agree.. I can't see it even looking for it..this is one of those overated issues..

Andy, the chroma bug is a non issue with the Holo as the Faroudja chip in effect masks over the chroma bug..

There's a large thread on the forum about the new Denon 2900 player which looks pretty good..there's some discussion about the Y/C delay..

The Holo card also has an adjustment for this Y/C chroma delay also..

Don't know if Immersive would do an SDI mod on the Denon but I'm pretty sure it will be offered for the 2300..

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been following that big Denon thread too.

I already emailed Immersive and they can mod the Yamaha 2300, so I assume the MK2, when available will be OK too.

The Hometheaterhifi shootouts, more or less indicate which players have the best specifications ... very little on actual picture quality after they meet the specifications.

Heft, mass, big power supplies, picture adjustments via its setup, etc, certainly can amount to a better picture.

I will be most eager to see Ted's RP82 once he gets it back from Immersive !

- Andy

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It's funny how many people on these boards dislike anything Sony. When I bought my HS10 projector I decided to "upgrade" from my 9000ES player and buy the much revered Panasonic rp-82.

The picture looked aweful and almost returned the projector until I tried it with my 9000ES. All of a sudden and ever after I've felt like the bucks I put out for the 9000ES were more than worth it. The panny looked like the inexpensive player it was and Sony looked like the expensive player it was.

Don't believe everything you read on these boards, especially when a Sony product is involved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
"It's funny how many people on these boards dislike anything Sony. When I bought my HS10 projector I decided to "upgrade" from my 9000ES player and buy the much revered Panasonic rp-82."

I agree. A bunch of Walmart shoppers on this forum. I guess it's predictable that a company like Sony who has a huge marketshare on DVD players and displays would get bashers who have an IQ less than the fingers on their hands. Almost like a bunch of ********, huh? Very simular to the Bill Gates/Microsoft bashing. I bet that 99.99% of the bashers are using Windows.....

:p

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:

I agree. A bunch of Walmart shoppers on this forum. I guess it's predictable that a company like Sony who has a huge marketshare on DVD players and displays would get bashers who have an IQ less than the fingers on their hands. Almost like a bunch of ********, huh?

:p
I think since Sony is a very large company it has more satisfied and, presumably, more dissatisfied customers who might express an oppinion on boards. BTW, their marketshare of DVD players which was once some over 20% had slipped just below 20% last time I looked. BTW, I do own some Sony equipment. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newmembertoday
I agree. A bunch of Walmart shoppers on this forum. I guess it's predictable that a company like Sony who has a huge marketshare on DVD players and displays would get bashers who have an IQ less than the fingers on their hands. Almost like a bunch of ********, huh?
Trolling for flames are we? Must.. resist... response.... nah, screw it.

That's a pretty silly statement. You are then under the opinion that anyone on this forum who didn't buy the 999 and instead went with a non-Sony player that a) doesn't have the chroma bug or any other video problems, b) is universal and c) at very least rivals the 999's overall picture and audio quality did so because we're a) stupid and b) Sony-bashers?

Hmm.

I don't have any problem with Sony.. the 999 was the first player I owned during my player hunt, and I wanted to like it. I already own an older DVD player of theirs, a low-end receiver for a secondary room and a PS2. And I've owned Sony in the past. But in the end I couldn't kid myself about my unhappiness with its problems (c. bug, shimmer problem, sloth-like response) coming out of a $1k player, and I returned it. And I'm glad I did, as my 2300 is also an outstanding player that has yet to give me a single problem.

Blind brand loyalty smacks more of stupid "*******" closed-mindedness than being an educated shopper who buys the best overall product for their dollar. And I'm not sure how you could claim that the 999 is so far superior to every other player out there that if you don't buy one, you're a moron. It would take a moron to do so.

Quote:
I can't see it even looking for it..this is one of those overated issues..
I agree it's overrated, but not to the point that it's a modern-day tale of The Emporer's New Clothes. People including myself do see it, and once you do it can be very distracting. I in fact did see it on the 999 that I demoed for 2 weeks, and ended up returning it and purchasing a player that does not. So it's only a non-issue if you don't see it.. and so overrated only if you don't see it. If you do, it's quite a relevant issue.

Happy Easter to all-- glad to see newmembertoday helping to spread the love. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Laminator,

"Happy Easter to all-- glad to see newmembertoday helping to spread the love."

I'm an Atheist which makes me less of a 'brand' loyalist than you! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newmembertoday
I'm an Atheist which makes me less of a 'brand' loyalist than you! :D
Actually, I'm agnostic, so I've got you there too!! The Easter comment just seemed appropriate today.

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.