AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony DVP-S3000 is having trouble tracking all the way through newer DVD's. Sometimes it won't load them at all, until I warm it up by playing an older disc first (older discs play fine). Sometimes it only has trouble with certain chapters.

It's been suggested that a laser calibration may be in order, but I wanted to ask first if anyone else has any experience with the 3000 having tracking issues.

Thanks - Don Z.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have yet to have a problem like that with mine, but I have done the laser calibrations before without any trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if your problems were with RSDL discs and it might be easily fixable.

Instructions for getting into the system menu and running the calibrations can be found here:
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/video/dvd/sony_dvp_s3000/

I'm wondering if I need to do this again. I had a problem watching Magnificent Seven the other day, it froze for several seconds then skipped ahead at one point. May have been trouble with the layer change. That's one of two glitches I've had with this machine, the other being that it doesn't always want to start playing the Seven Samurai disc. Strange coincidence if you ask me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Mickunas I had a problem watching Magnificent Seven the other day, it froze for several seconds then skipped ahead at one point. May have been trouble with the layer change. That's one of two glitches I've had with this machine, the other being that it doesn't always want to start playing the Seven Samurai disc. Strange coincidence if you ask me.
Probably not a coincidence, Keith, as you describe my problems exactly. Sometimes it hangs for a moment, then skips ahead a few minutes. I have suspected the layer-change causing trouble, but last night I got through Godfather III just fine until the last couple of chapters, and then it just refused to play more than a few seconds here and there.

I suspect other 3000 owners have had these problems, too. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a DVP-S3000 which I bought in Oct'97, and haven't exprerienced these problems (quick, find me some wood to knock on).

I did have problems with the first RSDL disc I bought (Platoon), where the player wouldn't acknowledge the disc was in the player, but recalibrating the laser solved that problem, and it hasn't recurred since.

Good luck. Although this player is getting a little old now, and doesn't have all the features of the newer players, mine still runs like a charm, and I have no reason to think about changing it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Were you able to jump to the later chapters in Godfather 3, or would it refuse to play beyond a certain point no matter what? I had no trouble with Godfather 2, and I've watched SW:TPM a couple of times this week and have had no problems with that one. I haven't tried the other Godfather movies yet but I'll take a look tonight.

I need to retry Magnificent Seven. It could have had some dust on it or something. It worked fine in my Malata, but I didn't retry it in the Sony after that. If it still has problems I'll recalibrate, its been over 2.5 years since the last time I did that. I tried it to make Seven Samurai work, but that didn't change it. It just works sometimes, and other times it doesn't.

IMHO, this Sony is a great player, especially on my older non-HDTV RPTV. I'll probably keep it for sentimental reasons for a long time. I bought it in January of '98 and over the years its handled some discs that lots of other players have failed on, and the layer change is often not noticeable. Even though I have the Malata, I still use the Sony most of the time, one reason is that I'm not sure how long the Malata will last, so I don't want to stress it, and second is that the Sony just works so well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Mickunas

Were you able to jump to the later chapters in Godfather 3, or would it refuse to play beyond a certain point no matter what?

Usually, it will jump beyond the trouble spots by itself and continue. Seems fairly consistent as to which chapters it doesn't like. On the other hand, sometimes it just stops and refuses to load the disc at all.

I had trouble with all the Godfather discs, but the Phantom Menace set played fine (for the most part), after warming up the machine first.

I ordered a Malata from avdeals.com as a replacement, but mine is one of the orders in limbo until the company updates the firmware. If it were'nt for bad luck....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well look at it this way, if you had gotten the Malata already, it wouldn't play Star Wars anyways. But mine played Star Wars and Godfather 2 without any trouble whatsoever. Hopefully laser recalibration will fix it. Did you try that yet?

Oh and the coincidence I mentioned in my first response was in regard to my two problems. Magnificent Seven was based on Seven Samurai, and so far those are the only two movies that caused me trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.