AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding the interlaced output of a Sony DVP9000ES to a Crystal Image Scaler (to a JVC DILA15 on a 110" diagonal screen). I purchased the Sony three years ago. For the past several months I'd been having problems with dropouts and other video problems on the Sony which had gotten progressively worse in that regard. I then saw a Denon 1600 floor sample on clearance at a local Tweeter and picked one up. The Sony (since its an ES model) was still in its 5-year parts & labor warranty so I sent it to Sony and they replaced parts, cleaned it etc. and now it works like new. The problem is that in comparing the PQ of the two players I seem to prefer the Denon. The PQ of both players is good, and I've tried tweaking the various video adjustments in the Sony to match that of the Denon as I had planned on giving the Denon to a friend when the Sony came back. I've gotten the image closer to that of the Denon (the Sony's image always appeared "softer" to me so I corrected that). I've also compared the two players using various test patterns and they seem to test rather similarly although the black levels in the Denon appear to be marginally better. Although I would describe the difference as subtle, overall I see more detail in the Denon than in the Sony. As I said, I'm using the interlaced output of the two players. I'm not a video processing geek but what could be responsible for the better PQ of the Denon? Is anyone surprised at this result? Any ideas?

·
Registered
436 Posts
No surprise here. The 9000 was never a really good unit. I owned one for about a month and returned it for a Panasonic RV80. Besides the obvious observations you've noticed.

The Sony has the chroma bug

THe Denon is really a rebadged Panasonic and as such shares all the benefits of Panasonic's excellent Mpeg Decoder as well as other finer attributes.

Sony isn't on the top of the list for designing great DVD players.

All the best,

Gary:)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
True, but the Sony 9000ES is a fantastic player for audiophiles. GSF is correct. Granted, Denon is almost always a good in the audio aspects of their products, but Sony just knocked it out of the park for audio enthusiasts who also wanted a DVD option. I'd keep the Denon for pq, since you've already bought it. My 9000ES looked better than every competing brand I'd seen at the time of its release. I'm watching on a Toshiba RPTV, so chroma bug issues were minimal at worst. I didn't see the Denon at the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.