AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have Sony STR DA5400ES hooked up my PS3 and have a quick question.

I know if watching a blu ray with dolby digital, the receiver Blue light should light up Blue when it is decoding Dolby Digital....However when listening to DTS HD or Dolby True HD by outputting PCM from the PS3 and then selecting the HD audio format of choice from the Blu Ray menu, should the receiver still be lighting up Blue?? or does this mean that it is really decoding Dolby digital and NOT one of the HD audio codecs? I could have sworn before the receiver would not light up blue when decoding the DTS master audio before, but now it is??!?!?.....does this mean I have one of the settings on the PS3 or Receiver setup wrong? Thanks!!!

-When I hit "select" on the PS3 when playing a movie it does show DTS-HD MA....but the receivers Blue light is still lit up.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
What does it do with SD DVDs when they are playing? On my BDP-S550, the blue light is always on with BDs regardless of the soundtrack being played, but not when SD DVDs are running.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglyjams /forum/post/18149287

Hi, I have Sony STR DA5400ES hooked up my PS3 and have a quick question.

I know if watching a blu ray with dolby digital, the receiver Blue light should light up Blue when it is decoding Dolby Digital....However when listening to DTS HD or Dolby True HD by outputting PCM from the PS3 and then selecting the HD audio format of choice from the Blu Ray menu, should the receiver still be lighting up Blue?? or does this mean that it is really decoding Dolby digital and NOT one of the HD audio codecs? I could have sworn before the receiver would not light up blue when decoding the DTS master audio before, but now it is??!?!?.....does this mean I have one of the settings on the PS3 or Receiver setup wrong? Thanks!!!

-When I hit "select" on the PS3 when playing a movie it does show DTS-HD MA....but the receivers Blue light is still lit up.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in but in a nutshell the blue light is on when the receiver is doing the decoding. In the case of the PS3 I believe what is happening is the player is decoding the audio and sending it to the receiver PCM. The blue light doesn't mean the output isn't Dolby True HD or DTS HD just that the receiver is not decoding the audio stream.

Some here think this is the preferred method for listening to HD audio tracks.

I don't have a PS3 but I believe that the only way for it to play HD audio formats is to decode them and send it to the receiver as PCM.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgove1 /forum/post/18149612

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in but in a nutshell the blue light is on when the receiver is doing the decoding. In the case of the PS3 I believe what is happening is the player is decoding the audio and sending it to the receiver PCM. The blue light doesn't mean the output isn't Dolby True HD or DTS HD just that the receiver is not decoding the audio stream.

Some here think this is the preferred method for listening to HD audio tracks.

I don't have a PS3 but I believe that the only way for it to play HD audio formats is to decode them and send it to the receiver as PCM.

Depends on the PS3 being used. If it's a new slim it can bitstream and have the receiver decode. If it's an older fatty you'd be correct.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Maybe the new PS3 is the right-size, and the new one is skinny. Don't hate on PS3 "classic."

And as mentioned, it can't send bitstream for TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. It's still awesome, and if you own it, you should love it, and pet it, and call it "George." ( Bugs Bunny reference)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If blue lights are that exciting to people, Lava Lamps must be positively mesmerizing!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m /forum/post/18150829

I think the blue decoding light on Sonys is the only thing I miss about owning a Sony, lol.

Had a Sony ES years ago and went to other brands including Pioneer Elite units THX certified among others. Never found another I liked as much as Sony.

Finally went back to Sony with the 5400. Glad I did. Don't know why but just love the sound from my Sony. Maybe it's my room?

Funny thing is I would never consider Sony for anything else like a TV or Camera.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically the only time the Receiver should have its BLUE light lit up is when it is decoding the audio, i.e Dolby digital, DTS.

But since it is a Fat PS3, the only way to get the Dolby Digital True HD, and DTS-HD MA, is to set the output on the PS3 to PCM.

But...when I do that and the PS3 says on screen that it is outputting A HD Audio format, i.e DTS-HD MA, the receiver is still lighting up BLUE....So therefore something is wrong somwhere in the signal path, be it one of the settings on the PS3 or 5400ES...

OR is this correct and Blue light should be on even when it is only receiving the PCM already decoded from the PS3...does eveyone else's Sony receiver light up Blue when the PS3 is decoding the Audio and outputting via PCM.....please advise, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglyjams /forum/post/18152046

So basically the only time the Receiver should have its BLUE light lit up is when it is decoding the audio, i.e Dolby digital, DTS.

But since it is a Fat PS3, the only way to get the Dolby Digital True HD, and DTS-HD MA, is to set the output on the PS3 to PCM.

But...when I do that and the PS3 says on screen that it is outputting A HD Audio format, i.e DTS-HD MA, the receiver is still lighting up BLUE....So therefore something is wrong somwhere in the signal path, be it one of the settings on the PS3 or 5400ES...

OR is this correct and Blue light should be on even when it is only receiving the PCM already decoded from the PS3...does eveyone else's Sony receiver light up Blue when the PS3 is decoding the Audio and outputting via PCM.....please advise, Thanks!!!

If the older PS3 is properly configured it will output multichannel LPCM via HDMI whenever ANY multichannel audio format is being played. This includes lossless formats (DTS-MA, etc) or lossy ones (standard DD, etc.). It must be set up for LPCM (not bitstream) output, and the appropriate audio formats must be enabled in the PS3 setup menu. It will decode the audio and transcode it to multichannel LPCM.

The receiver, if capable of processing multichannel LPCM, should give some indication that it's doing so. (I don't know your specific receiver; is there an "LPCM" light?) It won't indicate what the original format of the audio was, because it can't know that; it only knows it's receiving multichannel LPCM.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgove1 /forum/post/18151948

Had a Sony ES years ago and went to other brands including Pioneer Elite units THX certified among others. Never found another I liked as much as Sony.

Finally went back to Sony with the 5400. Glad I did. Don't know why but just love the sound from my Sony. Maybe it's my room?

Funny thing is I would never consider Sony for anything else like a TV or Camera.

same here...

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18150885

If blue lights are that exciting to people, Lava Lamps must be positively mesmerizing!

Hell no... Last time I had a lava lamp it got knocked over on the floor, broke, and totally ruined the carpet! I much prefer stringing christmas lights all around the room.
I liked the blue light on the Sonys because it let you know that it was decoding properly and doing it's thing. With my Yamaha you have to get right up close to it with a microscope to see the "Dolby True HD" light up.
Well, I suppose I could use a midrange telescope at seating position instead of getting up and looking at the front panel with a microscope but the microscope is much easier to put away and store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgove1 /forum/post/18151948

Yea I never had their ES models. I had their DG series before (up to a $1000 unit) and thought the sound was a little low-fi in comparison to say an equally priced (or even cheaper) Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglyjams /forum/post/18152046

But...when I do that and the PS3 says on screen that it is outputting A HD Audio format, i.e DTS-HD MA, the receiver is still lighting up BLUE....So therefore something is wrong somewhere in the signal path, be it one of the settings on the PS3 or 5400ES...

My blue light is not on and the receiver says LPCM as the PS3 is set for PCM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo /forum/post/18164283

My blue light is not on and the receiver says LPCM as the PS3 is set for PCM.

OK, thanks!! I just checked again, my ps3 is saying DTS-HD MA via PCM, BUT my blue light is on the receiver??!?.....any ideas what could be setting the signal off along the way???

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I don't think that the blue light only indicates whether there is decoding going on or not although it is certainly on when legacy 5.1 DD/DTS bitstreams are being decoded. It also seems to indicate whether the receiver is getting a multichannel LPCM input. My STR-DG1000 can't decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA but when my Samsung BD-P1590 decodes either of those from a Bluray disc and sends the multichannel LPCM signals via HDMI, the blue light is on. JMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.