AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the Sony ES line is going to be a competitor to the Denon 2809...The Sony (forgot which model) is $500 more than the Denon. Any thoughts on this? This receiver is for a friend that wants to know which one he'd be more happy with...Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I loved my older Sony ES reciever but the new stuff just does not compare. The Denon or Integra is on top of the game right now with all the latest gadgets and killer processing with superb amp section.

nate

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't listen to the guy bragging about Denon---he's got HD-DVD in his .sig.

The current ES line is very comparable to Denon. Go fiddle with them all in person, then decide. That's always best.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I agree you should listen for yourself. While I listened to the Sony stuff about 3 years ago and wasn't impressed, my 7 year old 9000es sounds much better than my 1 year old Onkyo 885. For all I know the Sony ES receivers are good - haven't listened to them recently. My new 5000es BR play from Sony is top notch but it isn't a receiver. I have a Denon AVP and while it is rediculously expensive it sounds much much better than my Onkyo 885. Of course everyone has their own taste in sound after all, klipshe and bose are still around. I would listen for youself and see what you like.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Quote:
The current ES line is very comparable to Denon

The amplifier section of ES models continues to be their weak point. Top models of ES approach the cost of entry level units from companies such as Rotel and NAD.

If your friend's primary interest is SQ, tell him to checkout Cambridge Audio offerings.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He just got the Denon, so we will see how that works for him. He's got a bose system (yeah I know) and also a sunfire sub, plus a new PS3 and new TV. He can always return the denon, but I doubt he will. He doesn't crank it like the rest of us
Interesting note on the Cambridge Audio....I didn't know they made receivers....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What I've noticed with Denon is that the exterior build quality, from my unexpert perspective, isn't up to snuff as Sony ES. Acoustics aside, I have a weird and unscientific criteria for build quality however. I always like to knock on things with my knuckles or nails to hear how solid they are.

Knock on the faceplate of Denons, especially the '09 models, and it sounds hollow, you'll hear rattles and plastic beneath. I'd say the aluminum is about 1mm thick in gauge. Knock on the ES and it's solid as a rock!

Aside from that, on paper Denon is better hands-down. But in real life, music sounds the same to me. But for movies, I really like the Cinema surround mode that Sony offers.

Another factor for me is design. I prefer Sony better than Denon. But, the Pioneer Urushi design is my favorite, although it rattles like Denon.

The problem with Sony is the lower brand name. I think that's why people find it so hard to decide when it comes to Sony; people like it but don't like the cheaper brand name.

·
Registered
81 Posts
compare warranties, other equipment connected (sharing remotes, etc) cost, XM vs. Sirius or both, HD radio, how many HDMI inputs, etc. Basically, what it is you want.

there is alot to think about. Sony ES has 5 year warranty. dont know about the other lines. i believe some have 3 year warranties and some 1 year. if you have all sony equipment, newer equipment, then the bravia link is VERY helpful. reduces remotes and if you have DirecTV or Dish Network then their remotes control the TV's volume which then controls the amps volume. cant do that by mixing and matching components. remember, today, unlike in past days, things are pretty much all the same brands of DSP's on board. if you really get down to the core of what these new receivers do they all process video with Faroudja upscaling processors and have similar if not identical sound DSP's onboard. amp power then becomes an issue and that is personal preference. **** However, do NOT go out and spend a $1000 more for extra room control unless you really have to do that. there are external products that can do this for you for a fraction of the cost AND with better performance such as HDMI 2nd and multi room extenders.

i personally have a sony 2400ES and love it. It does Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master flawlessly and I set it to automatically convert 2 channel Dolby 2.0 signals and linear PCM signals over to Neural-THX and it sounds great when it does this.

My sony has XM and Sirius but no HD Radio. that would be nice but not critical to me. so, it's really up to you what it is your looking for. heck for about $550 to $600 you can get into the ES line with a 5 year warranty. but, the Denon adds the Audyssey features which Sony does not have and that would be nice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just returned my Sony 3400ES for the Denon 2809CI. I dont know what i was thinking when i got the sony es receiver. I was initially trying to go to with an all sony system and use the Bravia Link.

The sony's setup doesnt work as advertised. You cant assign HDMI video and audio to the "BD" (blu-ray Disc) input. When that input is selected you only get video and no sound. You have to select the HDMI input directly to get full audio with the sound. This make no sense because you then cant use the receiver remote to control you sony blu-ray player, because the HDMI funtion on the remote is selected and not the BD function. Sony Tech support was useless and there manual indicates that this ability (assigning HDMI audio/video) is not offered.

You dont have this problem with Denon.

Believe it or not the build quality of the sony 3400ES was worse than my 6-7 yr old STR-DB1070 which was a hybrid ES receiver with 6.1 channels and dual subwoofer outs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.