AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony STR-DA333ES receiver that's about seven or eight years old. It's had a fairly easy life and worked fine until one day it just quit making sound! It powers up normally, the display lights up, all the buttons and input modes work... there's just no sound coming from the speakers. The rest of my system is fine, as I've since gotten a new receiver and everything works normally so it's definitely the Sony that has the problem.

Anyone know what could cause this? Blown fuse, bad capacitor, something? I opened the top and couldn't see anything obviously wrong... thoughts? And no, it's not the speaker A/B/off switch being in the wrong position -- already tried that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh yeah!

I have the the DA333ES that I bought in the Fall of '99.[edited year]

It has died on me twice.

You probably have a bad ouput I/C also called a "driver".

Mine blew in '05 and the guy replaced the driver.

less than ayear later it died again.

It came on, but nothing. No sound, etc.

The next tech explained to me that there is a cold solder situation where

after years of heating up and cooling off that the solder breaks, which causes

kind of a short and the ouput ICs blow.

the first repair cost me $1XX, but the second repair cost $218 because he went back

and resoldered as much as he could.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a v333es model that I got maybe 5-6 years ago, and lately it's been having problems too.

I will go to power it on, and it will then constantly "click". Like the click you hear when you initially turn it on. After anywhere from 5-15 minutes, it will eventually turn on.

I actually took it to Radio Shack and opened it up and saw if it was something easy like a blown fuse, but to no avail. I think I am going to get a Panasonic XR-57 since this Sony seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth to repair aka $$$$.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I also have a Sony STR-DA333ES and it has been having a similar problem for the past several weeks. For awhile I could get the sound back just by powering off and on a few times or unplugging it and then letting it reacquire the inputs. But last night I couldn't get sound to come back at all, until finally I cleared the memory (pg. 20 of the manual tells how to do it) and then it worked again. But now today my wife informed me that it lost all sound once again.

Since mine apparently hasn't lost sound permanently, can I assume that the I/C "driver" is still okay but that a bad solder joint may be causing the intermittent problem? Such that a solder job alone might fix it?

I don't think I want to spend any significant $$ trying to fix this older receiver, but it would be a shame to trash it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.