AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I am against extended warranties just because the cost is too high for what it's worth. But I got a Sony W950B clearanced for $999. And the 5 year was $150, I said no it's a little more than I want to pay. So the guy from Sony knocked $50 off if I would take it, at that price I thought it was a good deal. Because it was 10% of the clearance cost of the TV. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Usually I am against extended warranties just because the cost is too high for what it's worth. But I got a Sony W950B clearanced for $999. And the 5 year was $150, I said no it's a little more than I want to pay. So the guy from Sony knocked $50 off if I would take it, at that price I thought it was a good deal. Because it was 10% of the clearance cost of the TV. What do you guys think?
What are the terms of the Sony extended warranty??

If the TV fails in 2 years and is deemed un-repairable, and Sony is no longer making any 1080p TVs, will they replace it with a more expensive UHD TV?

If the TV fails in 3 years and is deemed un-repairable, and Sony is no longer making any TV sets at all, will they cut you a check for your $999 purchase price?

If the TV fails in 4 years and is deemed un-repairable, and Sony is no longer in business at all, will their trustees cut you a check for your $999 purchase price?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought extended warranties for my two XBR TVs. At the time I got pretty much the same deal you did, so it was a no brainer. The only problem I have is the TVs won't break. I've never had to use the warranties. I've had the TVs for over 7yrs without a single problem. I would like to buy a new, slimmer, higher definition TV, but can't justify it. Say what you will, but I've never had a problem with the Sony TVs I have or the ones I've bought for family members. Not having to use a warranty is a waste of money, but I can't complain.

I also bought a Sony STR-D5300 receiver at the same time. It had a firmware issue I noticed within a few weeks. I called Sony, it was a known issue. They sent a replacement the next day along with a return label for the defective unit. You can't ask for better service than that. No problems since.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Is the Sony extended warranty worth it? I say yes due to the fact that you never know what may happen with the tv. I got a 2 year extended warranty on my W900A as an insurance policy to make sure if something does happen to my tv Sony will cover it or replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts