AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a n00b question about hooking my WeGa Trinitron TV to my computer and be able to use it as a second monitor, so my buddys could watch me play Counter-Strike and not have to hang over my shoulder. I have a bunch of AV hook ups along with a S-Video. I was wondering if it was possible to hook up my computer up to it and if I needed any special cables if it was? Thanks and I hope it isn't took much of a dumb question.:confused:

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Does your video card have S-video out? If so, that would be the simplest, although the quality may not be that great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes my TV has S-video out....so what would I need to connect my Graphics card to my TV it only has a spot for a VGA cable?

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Actually, I was asking if your video card (computer) has an S-video output, not the TV. It sounds as though the video card only has a VGA port though.

If you take a look at the Computer Input link in my signature, you'll see some of the higher-end options for connecting a computer to a TV. There are some other more affordable, but not as high quality options as well, like a VGA -> S-video transcoder.

What type of inputs does the TV have? And would you consider replacing your current video card with one that more directly supports either S-video or component output?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My TV has YPrPb and S video connection spots and my graphics card does only have a spot for a VGA hook up. I would be willing to buy a new ATI card with the support for S-Video but would this be good quality or am I better off doing something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to get an ATI that supports clone mode, or any GeForce MX or FX will work too. The video card has to have VGA and S-Video out. It will be good quality on the tv.

You could also get a converter box that will take VGA in and output VGA pass-through and S-video. This may or may not be more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.