AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

Proud new owner of the AX100 from Sony. I love everything about it but the microphone picks up way to much. To solve this, I am looking at boom mics.

I've landed on the Rode NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone Kit from B&H, but I have seen reviews that the xlr adapter ruins the audio. So now I am stuck not really know what I need and not sure if these XLR adapters will do the trick for me or how bad it will really be. I would like to avoid the over-price sony XLR adapter if I could.

My question would be if anyone here has this camera, or similar and has found a way to use this mic, attached to their camera and get the high quality audio it offers?

I use it mainly in enclosed areas for Youtube videos, but I will also need it to shoot events indoors and outdoors, so I just want one setup that works for all without having to import a separate audio stream.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Really the best place for the mic is close to the sound source so a mic with an extension lead can be better than a mic on the camera. If you need to mount the mic on the camera then a shotgun may be the answer.
Rode are the top but there are many decent electret condenser mics available. I use a BOYA BY-VM190P short shotgun and I have found it very good, especially in windy conditions as it comes with two wind muffs. I also use it table mounted with an extension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really the best place for the mic is close to the sound source so a mic with an extension lead can be better than a mic on the camera. If you need to mount the mic on the camera then a shotgun may be the answer.
Rode are the top but there are many decent electret condenser mics available. I use a BOYA BY-VM190P short shotgun and I have found it very good, especially in windy conditions as it comes with two wind muffs. I also use it table mounted with an extension.
thank you, but i dont like the quality of that mic much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello everyone :)

Proud new owner of the AX100 from Sony. I love everything about it but the microphone picks up way to much. To solve this, I am looking at boom mics.

I've landed on the Rode NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone Kit from B&H, but I have seen reviews that the xlr adapter ruins the audio. So now I am stuck not really know what I need and not sure if these XLR adapters will do the trick for me or how bad it will really be. I would like to avoid the over-price sony XLR adapter if I could.

My question would be if anyone here has this camera, or similar and has found a way to use this mic, attached to their camera and get the high quality audio it offers?

I use it mainly in enclosed areas for Youtube videos, but I will also need it to shoot events indoors and outdoors, so I just want one setup that works for all without having to import a separate audio stream.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks.
I don’t have a Rode NTG-2, but I do have a mic that is not dissimilar in the way it works — a Sennheiser MKE 600 shotgun that will run either self-powered (AA battery) or via 48v phantom power.

It will connect to the AX100 either:

• via the 3.5mm mic jack using it's custom XLR-to-3.5mm adapter … with excellent results, or
  • via the 3.5mm mic jack using a generic XLR-3.5mm adapter …… with rather ‘flat’ but clear sound, or
  • via the 3.5mm mic jack using an XLR-adapter/pre-amp such as those of JuicedLink, Sound Devices, or Tascam using 48v phantom power, or
  • via Sony’s XLR-K1M XLR Adapter.

You could try the adapter that comes with the microphone and see how it sounds, otherwise you’ll probably need to consider an XLR-adapter/pre-amp.

You’ll need a hot-shoe adapter to use the NTG-2 on the camera, and you’ll probably also need a bracket if you’re going to run it with a wind shield and want it to remain out of view.

However, if I really want to use a microphone attached to the top of the AX100 I would normally use a Rode Videomic Pro which is designed for the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts