AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 3912 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Do you have an Atmos setup now? What AVR? Did you go with in-ceiling speakers, or the Atmos-enabled ones that point at the ceiling?
Yeah, I'm running a 5.1.2 setup through the Onkyo 838. I am going to do in-ceiling speakers as my permanent atmos solution (5.1.4) sometime here in the next couple of weeks. I just have to make a decision on which speakers. As for now I'm using a DIY Atmos enabled mod, using a pair of Paradigm S2's sitting on top of my B & W's, facing the ceiling at the appropriate angle to bounce sound to the (approx guessed) MLP. It definitely works, just doesn't look great. But I had to try it out before going all in :D

I think in-ceiling speakers will give a more precise object based sound, but this atmos format does throw enveloping sound around the room much better than DD. The Transformers Atmos soundtrack is phenomenal, the movie isn't all that great, but thumbs up for the new Atmos surround sound format from dolby.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,949 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds exciting. It's about time we had something to shake up the audio side of home theater.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Audio cycling issue work around!

This is not a fix but a work around. Simply turn off the video circuitry at the HDMI input you are connecting the X10 for audio (If your receiver/AV processor allows you to of course). All the higher scale receivers from Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo do allow you to.
No messing with cables!
I tested it on the STR-DA5800ES and it worked fine. In the 5800ES bring up the Home menu, select Settings then Video Assign. Now select the Input the X10 is connected to and unassign the video input (select the blank option).

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is not a fix but a work around. Simply turn off the video circuitry at the HDMI input you are connecting the X10 for audio (If your receiver/AV processor allows you to of course). All the higher scale receivers from Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo do allow you to.
No messing with cables!
I tested it on the STR-DA5800ES and it worked fine. In the 5800ES bring up the Home menu, select Settings then Video Assign. Now select the Input the X10 is connected to and unassign the video input (select the blank option).
Did you have the cycling audio issue on your ES receiver prior to changing this setting?

I will have to check, not sure I can do this on my Pioneer.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,949 Posts
No messing with cables!
Ok, I tested your theory on my Denon 4520. I switched it to "Pure Direct", which shuts off all video processing, confirmed by the on-screen display going blank. Unfortunately, this did not prevent the audio dropouts from occurring. So, back to the drawing board.

I did confirm this evening that I am getting sound from the left surround speaker on 5.1 sources. A small step forward.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ok, I tested your theory on my Denon 4520. I switched it to "Pure Direct", which shuts off all video processing, confirmed by the on-screen display going blank. Unfortunately, this did not prevent the audio dropouts from occurring. So, back to the drawing board.

I did confirm this evening that I am getting sound from the left surround speaker on 5.1 sources. A small step forward.
Go to page 135 and chose the HDMI input of the FMP-X10.
Go to page 136 and do not assign a video for the input chosen above.
Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone having this problem with the unit? I've played a .mp4 file through USB about a week ago without a problem. I just tried playing the same file using the same USB stick and get a message that there was no file to show. I tried with couple of other files downloaded from youtube using the 4k downloader and get the same message. Any ideas?

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,949 Posts
Go to page 135 and chose the HDMI input of the FMP-X10.
Go to page 136 and do not assign a video for the input chosen above.
Good luck!
Sorry, I don't understand. In the Denon Input Assign menu, I specify the HDMI that I am using for the X10. There isn't any place to deselect the video output associated with that HDMI connection. Perhaps you could elaborate?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Anyone having this problem with the unit? I've played a .mp4 file through USB about a week ago without a problem. I just tried playing the same file using the same USB stick and get a message that there was no file to show. I tried with couple of other files downloaded from youtube using the 4k downloader and get the same message. Any ideas?
Make sure every file you have loaded on your USB stick or HDD has .MP4 as the file id.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,949 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
The sony 4k player only needs to do 2 things.
Release more content about 5 4k movies a month
And bring the price down 5-10 dollars

I dont have problems with download speed.

Once this is done sony will dominate having their own studios and all.

4k movies I reconmend on 4k player.

After earth
Amazing spiderman 2
Esylum
Think like a man 2
Looper
About last night
Total recall

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I agree, price of the movies needs to come down to $20.00-25.00 range to justify the purchase.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Or if they include again a UV code like they did at the beginning of the year, that would take the sting out of the price a bit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Or if they include again a UV code like they did at the beginning of the year, that would take the sting out of the price a bit.
Uv code? How so, I tried this last month I bought the mastered in 4k total recall and karate kid, I called sony to see if I ckuld get it free on the fmp 4k player, of course they played dumb

·
Registered
468 Posts
@ultraflexed,

The movies that came free with the FMP-X1 had UV codes. The three movies I purchased afterwards (After Earth, Lawrence of Arabia, and Elysium) also came with UV codes. However, Captain Philips and Amazing Spider-Man 2 did not. Not sure when they stopped issuing UV codes, but it was a really nice bonus when they did!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Marantz AV8801 and X10

Someone may know a quick answer to this. I have the AV8801. I have 1 HDMI cable (in the ceiling) to a Sony VPL600ES projector.
If I purchase the X10, will the 8801 be able to do the switching on the HDMI for 4K? or will I have to go direct from the X10 to the projector?

JG

·
Registered
467 Posts
Someone may know a quick answer to this. I have the AV8801. I have 1 HDMI cable (in the ceiling) to a Sony VPL600ES projector.
If I purchase the X10, will the 8801 be able to do the switching on the HDMI for 4K? or will I have to go direct from the X10 to the projector?

JG
So far all efforts to use a receiver for switching with the X10 have failed due to HDCP 2.2. Will need to run a separate HDMI cable from the X10 and connect directly to the HDMI2 input on your VPL-VW600ES.

1361 - 1380 of 3912 Posts