AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at these two, which are both priced about the same.. This is going to be a TV for my bedroom, just hooked up to a DVD player and maybe a TV tuner..

Won't be used every day..

Which would you guys recommend overall and why?

Thanks in advance!

-Brett

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks brett for bringing this set to my attention. It's very comparable to the Panny. Both 42" ED w/ pip. Same price. Sony has 2 yr warr vs 1yr on Pan. I'm waiting for the Pan PHD HD model and the price drops that are supposedly coming sep 1st. For Bedroom ED should be fine, I'd save the money myself over HD. Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been looking at these myself. One thing to keep in mind is that neither comes with a stand, and if you want DVI or HDMI on the Panasonic then you'll need to buy an addon interface card which is around $150. If you're going to wall mount then you just need a bracket, but if you're going to need a table stand they're both expensive. The Panasonic's is about $200, but you can get a silver one on ebay for pretty cheap and spray paint it. The Sony uses a clear acrylic stand, which looks nice, but is really pricey at $300+. Also most retailers charge about $50 more for shipping on the Sony, it must be heavier or something.

As far as the picture goes, I wish I could see the Sony model somewhere, but I think we can assume the picture will be about the same on both, with probably slightly better blacks on the panasonic. I don't think you'd regret getting either one, you should just get which ever one you think is the better value and know that the picture quality should be amazing on either.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks.. yeah, i think i'm going to go with the sony, as its a few bucks less and has all of the inputs i want (rather than adding the card on the panasonic).. i'll be wall mounting it.. probably get a tilt wall mount.. looks like the sony is it.. i heard that this is really a samsung panel in a sony case..

-Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.