AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gents,

I have a few questions I recently set up my G-70 at the moment I have a moome dvi input card and the component input set up on my G-70 all is looking great. I was lucky enough to find a Moome HDMI with the gamma correction. My question is how much better of an image will I get in comparison to the component and dvi? Should I use the gamma on the HDMI card? If I do decide to used the gamma section of the card how difficult would it be to properly set up?

·
Banned
716 Posts
I suggest you go over to Curt Palme's website where the information you seek - including how to adjust gamma - resides. And yes, you should use the gamma.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure about the DVI card, never had it so I cant compare, but from what I've read, and my 1st hand experience with a minty G70 and Moome HDMI internal with gamma. You should love it. Have fun...ray

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I had A Moome IFB-DVI card in my G70 and upgraded to the IFB-HD HDMI/gamma card,

I believe that I am getting better picture quality with the newer IFB-HD input card compaired to the older IFB-DVI card and highly recommend the newer Moome HDMI card. Although it takes time to set up the IFB-HD cards (gamma) the end resaults are worth it....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received the latest Moome HDMI card with gamma correction. And I have to tell you that I was a bit disappointed. I am not sure if the issues I am having is due to the projector or the Moome card. It just seems to be to dark with gama set on or off.

1-I set the component output of the HD-XA2 HD DVD to the G-70 and adjusted the brightness and contrast of the PJ with the pluge pattern of HD version of Video Essentials. My understanding is that the component output from the XA-2 to the pj is @ studio level. The brightness setting is about 68 on the pj.

2-I set the Moome DVI Card all looks great. After the latest update 2.8 on the X-A2 I can see below black and above white Again I adjusted brightness and contrast with the appropriate pattern results are about 32 on the pj My understanding when using DVI the output is @ PC level.

?-What level should the HDMI Moone card be?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm concerned that you report the image looks "too dark with gamma set on or off".

My experience in comparing the Moome HDMI IFB card with the gamma adjustment to the DVI IFB card from JohnHWMan is that I perceive no difference in brightness or contrast on most scenes - but in very dark scenes (or low IRE test patterns) the gamma adjustment on the moome card lets me run with a lower brightness setting on my projector but still see the low IRE steps. With John's card I have to raise the brightness on the projector to see the low IRE steps and sacrifice absolute fade to black.

Instructions for setting the gamma are available here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=3086

There is also a faq on Curt's site here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5516

If you observe that the image is darker with the HDMI/Gamma card than it was with the DVI card then something does seem wrong.

The approach I took in adjusting the gamma on mine generally went like this:
  1. Insert and connect the hdmi ifb card.
  2. Power on the projector and pull up the Avia brightness adjustment test pattern.
  3. Use a small screwdriver to turn the gamma adjustment screw on the back of the moome card clockwise many turns. This effectively disables the gamma adjustment.
  4. Adjust the projector brightness so that I was happy with the level of background brightness. And accept that I could no longer see the moving black bars.
  5. Use the screwdriver to turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise to the point where I saw the moving black bars rise out of the darkness. The point at which the adjusment makes a dfference is pretty short but it was obvious when it kicked in. I set it with the screw so that I could see both bars just barely.
  6. Then I used the remote to pull down the gamma slightly so I only saw the one moving bar.

I also checked the same general procedure with the THX Optimizer brightness adjustment test pattern and verified that I was able to see the fifth dark grey box in their steps with the HDMI/Gamma moome card, but was not with the DVI card.

When I did my color setup with HCFR and the Spyder2 meter it was with the DVI card directly from my PC. After setting up the moome card, I connected it to my PC and checked the values and confirmed that in the higher IRE there was no real difference between the values I got with the DVI card. But the light meters I have are not very good for the low IRE readings so I was not able to get any good comparison at the low end. But looking at the low ire test patterns the difference was obvious to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts