AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When I run HDMI cable directly from BluRay or HDDVD player to the G-90, everything is great. When I use a switcher (so I don't have to keep pluging/un-pluging the HDMI cable between the 2 players, I get a very snowy picture. This is using the same 20 foot HDMI cable to the G-90 - except the switcher is on the other end, and then a couple of short 3' cables to the different players. I have the DVI IFB card from JohnHWMan - with a Monster HDMI to DVI adapter on its input. The switching box I am using is a Psyclose PSC47 that I got at BB. It has a gain adjustment to use "if the picture is snowy." The adjustment range is 0-15. I see absolutely no difference in PQ, or in the "snow" no matter where this is set.

The other issue I have, is with 1080i over HDMI. The Dish Satellite box and the JVC D-VHS deck have HDMI outputs. Using these at 1080i (no 1080p avail. on these sources) looks very distorted, out of focus, and gets dark bands/area's accross it. I can just keep these on Component Video, but it would be nice to run everything on HDMI. Tonight I will play with the G-90 setup to see if I can find a solution to the 1080i issue-without blowing 1080p.

The SNOW issue with the switcher and HDDVD/BluRay is my biggest concern. I tried isolating any possible source of interference; shut down the wireless internet, pluged the switcher into different electrical outlets, surge protectors, etc., but no difference.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks- PK

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk442 /forum/post/12982924

When I run HDMI cable directly from BluRay or HDDVD player to the G-90, everything is great. When I use a switcher (so I don't have to keep pluging/un-pluging the HDMI cable between the 2 players, I get a very snowy picture. This is using the same 20 foot HDMI cable to the G-90 - except the switcher is on the other end, and then a couple of short 3' cables to the different players. I have the DVI IFB card from JohnHWMan - with a Monster HDMI to DVI adapter on its input. The switching box I am using is a Psyclose PSC47 that I got at BB. It has a gain adjustment to use "if the picture is snowy." The adjustment range is 0-15. I see absolutely no difference in PQ, or in the "snow" no matter where this is set.

The SNOW issue with the switcher and HDDVD/BluRay is my biggest concern. I tried isolating any possible source of interference; shut down the wireless internet, pluged the switcher into different electrical outlets, surge protectors, etc., but no difference.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks- PK

I had the same issue as you with Johns DVI card using a Monster DVI to HDMI adapters and a Monster hdmi cable. Something about the Monster cable/wire not being good/thick enough. I basically fixed the problem by purchasing one of the thicker wire gauge cables from monoprice. Monoprice has terrific cables at amazing prices. Avoid adapters too if you can and get a DVI to hdmi cable. That fixed my problem.

That extra 3 feet of cable you are adding is most likely also contributing or possible causing your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the real problem is HDMI's awful design, but that can't be fixed.

I would try cleaning the connectors with alcohol, a little bit of oil on the contacts can make it go nuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts