AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

This G70 is not responding to IR signals.

I have already checked that

1. Both the front and the rear IR sensors are enabled in the menu.

2. The dials are the rear are set to 0, 1 (have tried other settings too)

Is the PJ supposed to give any indication that it has received an IR signal? Like a blink of a LED somewhere?

I really don't have the actual Sony remote. I am using a Pronto CCF file on an iPaq 3955. The CCF file is for the G70. I downloaded it off remotecentral.

All other CCF files I have downloaded from there work fine. The one for my Sony 1270 also works fine on that 1270.

Just this one for the G70 does not make the G70 do anything. Hence I suspect there is something wrong on the G70.

Any Tips?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Take your 1270 download and see if it works on your G70 Just try contrast and brightness.

If so, then something wrong with G70 down load, if not something wrong with G70?

Terry

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry Will try it tonight.

Also I was looking at the G70's service manual and I found out that :

The p/n for the Sony IR remote is the same as the p/n of the remote which is inside the G70 (RM-PJ1000) I wonder if I can simply take out the remote from the PJ and use it like an IR remote.

Does it work that way?

If yes, is there an easy way to take out that remote?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
THe only G70 I had here with the same problem had bad CPU boards. If you can't get it going, I might be able to repair that.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But everything else on the G70 works absolutely fine. Just the IR sensors dont seem to work.

All buttons and functions on the remote embedded inside the PJ are working fine.

I really hope the G70 is OK and it's something else......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/0

THe only G70 I had here with the same problem had bad CPU boards. If you can't get it going, I might be able to repair that.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Right, I had the same problem, the keypad worked, the IRs didn't. I managed to repair the Ya or Yb board (can't remember which one it was).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I don't have the original remote either, I asked the exact same question about removing the keypad from the G70 and using it as a remote a while back.

Everyone said it can't be done.

So, I did the exact same thing you did. I downloaded the G70 CCF from remotecentral, imported the file in to my remote (I use a mx700), and it worked for me.

I downloaded the CCF some time ago, so it's possible it wasn't the same one you used, but I doubt many people are posting new CCF files for G70's, so it likely was the same file. I wouldn't count on the CCF file being the problem.

I know it's a long shot, but if you remote can import a mx-700 file, I would be willing to send you my working mx-700 file. Unfortunately, I've long since deleted the original CCF.

Sean.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys,

I found the problem is with the CCF file. The G70 is OK.

Like Terry suggested, I tried the 1270's CCF. It works ! Only some of the functions like the power on and some adjustments work, but the cursors dont so it is pretty much useless. But at least the it confirms that the G70 is Ok....Phew !

Now about the ccf.....next post...

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also took out the remote from the PJ last night and found out that is a dumbed down version. The battery compartment does not have the metal contacts / springs for touching the AA cells. But it does have the miniplug socket. So it may work as a wired remote.

But finding a CCF is a better option. Lets see....

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sean,

That CCF I downloaded here from remotecentral says it is for a Pronto. It does load up properly in the TV remote program I am using on the ipaq. But it does not send correct IR codes.

There is another file for a G70 on remote central but it is really a NCF see here

If I rename it to ccf, it loads up as a blank page. Is there a converter program to convert a NCF to a CCF?

Meanwhile, please do send me the file for your remote, maybe it will work. Is it a CCF ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhiatt /forum/post/0

Since I don't have the original remote either, I asked the exact same question about removing the keypad from the G70 and using it as a remote a while back.

Everyone said it can't be done.

So, I did the exact same thing you did. I downloaded the G70 CCF from remotecentral, imported the file in to my remote (I use a mx700), and it worked for me.

I downloaded the CCF some time ago, so it's possible it wasn't the same one you used, but I doubt many people are posting new CCF files for G70's, so it likely was the same file. I wouldn't count on the CCF file being the problem.

I know it's a long shot, but if you remote can import a mx-700 file, I would be willing to send you my working mx-700 file. Unfortunately, I've long since deleted the original CCF.

Sean.

·
Registered
640 Posts
when i had the g70vr it didn't come with a remote... so i took the panel out cut the black wire and put a socket on it, then i took a 1/8" stereo cable and used that.

it works great for a wired remote. it is missing the electronics for the ir portion of the remote plus the battery contacts...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was missing an IR remote from my first G70. I subsequently acquired one. But I have the male / female pair, four pin plug / socket combi as snipped from an old toasted G70 if you would like it. This means that you won't need to snip' anything in your G70 , just remove the internal remote and solder some suitable cable (cat-5 perhaps) between the plug and socket to extend' the remote to your chair. It's a tiny plug / socket and will fit in a padded bag for shipping.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions on the wired remote hack. But I really dont want to use a wired remote. This PJ is far too nice to hack around

Besides I think I am getting close to nailing the CCF down. I found this page on remotecentral which list discrete codes for G70. I am editing the CCF and pasting the codes into it (and converting it to color)

Tonight I'll see if it works. If it does, I'll be a happy camper.

By the way........Oh Man !!!! I love the pronto's flexibility, I think I will get one.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys, this is just a summary before I close/abandon this thread.

Finally I have got it working.

I found that the problem was not with the codes or the CCF files or the G70 PJ itself......it was the software I was using on the iPaq

I used Tonto (it is a CCF editing software) to convert that G70's CCF to a TSU6000 format. Then I loaded it onto Netremote software on Ipaq. Only then it works fine. Netremote does not like other format CCFs.

But netremote is not responsive, I have to hold down the buttons to get it to transmit. Then also the range is lousy.

I am looking for a proper Pronto....maybe a TSU6000. I hope it is not too old a model.

Major thanks to all of you again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.