AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used Sony G70Q with 3000+ hrs on it, and I don't believe I will be getting the Sony lens cap that is mentioned in the manual for magnetic focus adjustment.

Is this important, and if I need one, where might I get one?

Thank you very much,

Ray Kawal

Sequim, Washington

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Ray,

It's simply a lens cap (like the ones you get with cameras) to protect the lenses from scratches during transportation.

In this case, they want you to use them to block light output from a couple of CRT's in order to focus on one of the three.

You can simply block the light by other means or turn them off in the menus if you have adjustments to make.

Kal

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kal,

The manual mentions that 3 lens caps are usually supplied with the projector plus a "lens cap for magnetic focus adjustment", a total of 4. Is this "special" lens cap, just another cap like the others? If so, I don't see why it would even be needed if one can turn off the other two guns.

Thanks again,

Ray

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Ray - that's the first time I hear of anything like that! Maybe some of the Sony pro's can chime in...

I doubt it's anything you really can't do without though... G70's are great projectors. There have been a fair share of used ones that have been sold by individuals here in the past and I've never seen anyone advertise that this special lens cap was included, nor have I ever seen anyone inquire about it.

Kal

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to SONY the lens cap for focus adjustment has a small hole in it. They also

indicated it's not necessary for completion of

magnetic focus adjustment. Simply follow the

procedure in the G70 installation manual and turn

off the crts not being adjusted.

FEL

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ray,

Ideally you want to leave the CRT's all on while you are doing your focus and registration settings. That way the CRT's stay warm (remember the 20 min warmup screen). Use the covers to cover the CRT's you aren't adjusting.

As far as the "special" 4th lens cover, it really isn't necessary for the focus adjustment. I've sold 5 or 6 G-70's and although they came with the lens caps none had this special lens cover (techs must loose them)

Terry

·
Registered
988 Posts
My G70 came with the holy lens cap but you don't need to use it for mg focusing. Guy Kuo sums it up nicely in this thread.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.