AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday I purchased a Barco 1208s off ebay and afterward learned from the help of this forum that one of the tubes were fried. I was able to get out of that deal because the auction description was not accurate.

I've been researching projectors (mainly in AVS) and watching ebay all week. Hopefully I'm at a point where I can make a SOMEWHAT educated purchase. The more I searched for a decent deal, the more it appeared that the only way to get a good projector in good condition was to pay quite a bit of money, and if buying a CRT projector was going to be expensive, I wasn't sure that CRT is the way I wanted to go. So I started researching DLP projectors. Reports were pretty good, and whatever they lack in PQ (which is probably a lot) they make up for in convenience (which is definitely a lot). This morning I checked out DLP projectors at Ultimate Electronics to see if I'm sensitive to rainbows. As far as I could tell from the short viewing time I'm not.

So, now I've officially switched plans from CRT to DLP. I had already been researching models and prices, and my goal was to find something in the $2,500 to $3,000 range, most likely a NEC LT-240. The only problem is, of the DLPs that I saw, the only one that really looked good to me was the Sharp XV-Z10000, which is twice my budget. At this point I'm frustrated and really sick of looking. I'm also spending way too much time on just the purchase, so I decide the hell with, I'll buy a Z10000 and be done with it.

When I get home, I look around on the net and ebay for the best price for a Z10000, ready to pull the trigger, when I do one last search for CRT projectors on ebay. I find a newly listed Sony G70 with purported 2,891 hours on the chassis and 349 hours on the CRTs, although the description states, "...the hours of use on the blue tube are unknown as the blue tube had been replaced. We carefully examined the tubes; the blue had very light burn, the red and green tubes had no visible burn." 349 hours on the tubes, and one has been replaced and show slight burn. That doesn't make sense to me, as well as the huge difference in tube and chassis hours, but the seller has very good feedback and it seemed like a good deal so I bought it.

Hopefully I did better this time. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

--

Thanks,

Phil Smith E-mail: [email protected]

Dallas, TX Dallas Music: http://www.dallas-music.com

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Boy am I glad you saw that and hit the buy-it-now before I did! Looks like a good deal as long as the tubes are in the condition they say. It is a risky buying used projectors without having someone to back it up - believe me I know!

Hope all turns out well.

Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Phil,

You are in Texas, the seller is in Texas. Get in your vehicle, go to them cash in hand with a long phillips screwdriver and pullthe lens's off the projector and take a light and look at the CRT's. If they don't have any burn on the G & R (they say the B has burn) pay for the unit and take it home.

Terry

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Phil, I was bidding on one of his G70's last week and it went for around 3K and was not as nice as the one you got. I would have pulled the "Buy It Now" trigger if I had seen that. Even if it needed to be re tubed $2k is a good price for that high of a serial number unit. It will have newer revisions on the eprom chips and some of the bugs worked out that plagued earlier units. Nice find!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith
, when I do one last search for CRT projectors on ebay. I find a newly listed Sony G70 with purported 2,891 hours on the chassis and 349 hours on the CRTs, although the description states, "...the hours of use on the blue tube are unknown as the blue tube had been replaced. We carefully examined the tubes; the blue had very light burn, the red and green tubes had no visible burn." 349 hours on the tubes, and one has been replaced and show slight burn. That doesn't make sense to me, as well as the huge difference in tube and chassis hours, but the seller has very good feedback and it seemed like a good deal so I bought it.

Hopefully I did better this time. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

--

Thanks,

Phil Id say the G70 chassis hours are the hours for tubes aswell IMHO

I had one Guy Here in Australia selling a G70 and I went to purchase it for my brother image was Pretty good i went into the hours setting had 3500Hrs Offered a price and left him to think about it a couple days later he rings and I go to P/U the Pj and the dill has reset the hours hence chassis and tube did not match had a few words his reason was he thought he could set everything back to Zero and people would pay more!

Id say the hours on the chassis are also the tubes as even the Blue has same hours as the red/green

2000++ hours with slight burn on blue only seems pretty good to me as have one with 2400 hrs same condition only blue has a just noticable wear on the left top corner

You will be more than happy with the G70 dynamic pic and at $2000 your laughing

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, El Paso is over 600 miles from Dallas, so picking it up in person would be quite a trip.

With the feedback the seller has, he's most likely an honest person. I believe he's also in the general resale business and not knowledgeable about this type of item, so if the CRT hours were jacked with, it probably happened before he acquired it.

Hopefully worst case is scenario that the CRT hours are indeed the same as the chassis hours and the blue tube is truly "slightly burned". From what you say I should still be in good shape, so I'm happy!

Thanks for responding!

PS: Matrix, you mentioned it had a high serial number. You seem to be knowledgeable about that. Do you know how to date them?

--

Thanks,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by matrix
good price for that high of a serial number unit. It will have newer revisions on the eprom chips and some of the bugs worked out that plagued earlier units. Nice find!
sorry for jumping in Phil but this would certainly interest both of us

Mike what Bugs you talking about Mine is in th Serial #2002200s

and I seem to recall something about a menue you were able to get to with a later bias but found the unit I had was unable too

thankyou:D

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatherer
sorry for jumping in Phil but this would certainly interest both of us

Mike what Bugs you talking about Mine is in th Serial #2002200s

and I seem to recall something about a menue you were able to get to with a later bias but found the unit I had was unable too

thankyou:D
Gatherer,

You have a pretty late unit that has the hidden "special menu". It is on ROM firmware 1.10 and up. To get into the special mode you MUST first enter the "service mode" then hit: ENTER + ENTER + LEFT ARROW + RIGHT ARROW + ENTER and it will ask if you want to enter the special menu mode.

Bruce

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanx Bruce

But I have recheck my rom is 1.01 hence it does not get into the special mode Sony must have just use which ever Rom were at hand and Higher serial number does not apply

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatherer
Thanx Bruce

But I have recheck my rom is 1.01 hence it does not get into the special mode Sony must have just use which ever Rom were at hand and Higher serial number does not apply
There is a real mystery here. My later G70 S/N is 2001178 and your pj is even later than mine. How come you have VERY OLD firmware in it? You must have at least 1.10 ROM firmware to have the "special menu".

Here is the rundown: When you go to the Firmware page you see.....

M=1.xx -This is the MAIN ROM chip

S1=1.xx - This is the REGI ROM CHIP

S2=1.xx - This is the OSD ROM chip

S3=1.xx - This is the COMM ROM chip

There are two more chip, the FONT and the CMD ROM chips that make up the entire set of six. When the firmware is updated, 5 of the 6 chips MUST be replace together. They are the MAIN, REGI, CMD, OSD and FONT.

In the meantime, your pj had to have been made in 1998 to have that serial number. If it was, you should have had AT version 1.10 firmware.

Bruce

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Hey,

Over 600 Miles. Well, I assume you mean less then 700 Miles. I would go pick it up in person, by car. Having it shipped could result in damage. And seeing it before paying for it is also nice.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
There is a real mystery here. My later G70 S/N is 2001178 and your pj is even later than mine. How come you have VERY OLD firmware in it? You must have at least 1.10 ROM firmware to have the "special menu".

Here is the rundown: When you go to the Firmware page you see.....

M=1.xx -This is the MAIN ROM chip

S1=1.xx - This is the REGI ROM CHIP

S2=1.xx - This is the OSD ROM chip

S3=1.xx - This is the COMM ROM chip

There are two more chip, the FONT and the CMD ROM chips that make up the entire set of six. When the firmware is updated, 5 of the 6 chips MUST be replace together. They are the MAIN, REGI, CMD, OSD and FONT.

In the meantime, your pj had to have been made in 1998 to have that serial number. If it was, you should have had AT version 1.10 firmware.

Bruce
Bruce, I am obtaining the new firmware on disk this week and will make it available to whomever wants it. All you do is download through the RS22 port.

Update: The firmware is not available, I spoke too soon.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Bruce, I am obtaining the new firmware on disk this week and will make it available to whomever wants it. All you do is download through the RS22 port.
Matrix,

At the end of your post where you say RS22, I assume you mean the RS-422 serial port. If you are implying that you believe that the firmware can be updated through the RS-422 port, I have bad news for you. Unfortunately, they used 6 "Eproms". They are not EEPROMS like on computer motherboards. The 5 necessary EPROM's must be BURNED.

If you need further info on them you can PM me.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Bruce, All is for naught at this point. The dealer I was getting the firmware from does not have it. He was going to give it to me if he did, he checked and does not. Oh well. He did state if you are not having issues with the firmware version you are running there is no reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Bruce, All is for naught at this point. The dealer I was getting the firmware from does not have it. He was going to give it to me if he did, he checked and does not. Oh well. He did state if you are not having issues with the firmware version you are running there is no reason to upgrade.
Matrix,

Some "dealer", what does he deal in? He sounds like he read some motherboard manufacturers web site where they tell you "do not update BIOS ROM unless you are having a problem with current version". In the case of this update, it corrects problems that ALL users will experience. It also incorporates changes (when updating from the oldest version 1.03 to the newer 1.10 MAIN, FONT, OSD, CMD and 1.11 REGI ROM) that inproves the registration of ALL G70 projectors. The list goes on and on. The same also holds true for the D50 also. Most users hear that there are 100 memory storage locations, however, in order to copy and move them to different locations you must have the later ROM firmware, which has the "special" menu mode in addition to the "service" mode.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Bruce, I did not mean to ruffle your feathers! My mistake, let me get on with my life. Regards, Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.