AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need your help on this one. I am looking into buying one of the following projectors. A friend of mine is on his way to Germany, where he will get in touch with some projector dealers he regularly does business with and will try to find me on of the above machines. Assuming that their working condition is good, and they are all within the same price range (keeping my fingers crossed for a good deal on the 9500), what should I be careful about when making my final selection?

I have read quite a few posts on the Marquees requiring a mod to display a proper anamorphic image. Can you please clarify this for me?

Also, I believe that the 8500LC requires a longer throw distance than the 9500, since it has 8" tubes, but 9" lenses. Is that correct?

The room I will bwe using is 4.28m in length (168.5"), and the motorised screen I currently have is about 18cm (7") away from the wall. Although I will be changing this screen with a new one it will probably be in a similar setup. This leaves 161,5" (4.10m) as the total length available for the setup. I plan to use a 16:9 screen of 80"x45".

I would welcome any suggestion you can offer me because I am new to the CRT arena, and I can't wait to experience Home Theater as it was always meant to be: The CRT way!!!

Thanking you in advance,

Nicholas.

P.S. In case you were wondering why I would get a projector from Germany, I should tell you that I live in Athens, Greece, where there isn't much of a CRT market.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Nicholas,

Certainly if you can get a 9500 for the same price as a G-70, you should consider it as one of the best CRT's out there. Obviously CRT condition is very important when purchasing a projector like this.

With the screen size you have choosen you shouldn't have any problems with the throw distance of any of the projectors you have choosen in your length room. And you should get a lot of punch from the picture.

The 9500 does require a small mod to be done to get vertical range to squeeze down to 16:9. Do a search here and you will find it.

Terry

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys

Figure a throw of about 1.45 x image width on a 9500LC and more like 1.7 on an 8500LC, plus the cabinet dimension of about 32" front to back, and another 12" to access the back of it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello napos

Welcome to the AVSForum and to the Dark Side of front projection.

Any of the PJ's you listed would be a very good choice. Plan to pay more

for the Marquee 9500. As Terry noted, the most important concern when

considering a used CRT is the tube condition.

Good Luck with your Home Theater.

DH

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for all the information. I think I am most concerned with the 16:9 mod for the Marquee series. Is it something that I could ask the dealer to do for me? I would really hate to have to fiddle with the machine on my own, since I have no experience with CRTs and I am afraid I would damage some circuit. As far as the working condition of the electronics and the tubes I will trust my friend's choice, since he is an AV equipment dealer in Greece, and he regularly does CRT purchases for his hi-end clients. Therefore, he has an on-going business relationship with the people he buys from, and I don't believe they will try to mislead him in any way, by misrepresenting the specs of any unit, since that will damage their credibility for future business.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

The 16:9 mod is merely changing three resistors on the vertical board on the rear heat sink, replace R704, 804, 904 with 56Kohm, 1/4w, 5% or 2% and match raster heights in the service menu, no big deal. The resistors are right next to the yoke plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.