AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about parting with my Sony VPH-G70q. I have just bought a Dwin TV3 digital unit due to the WAF and the fact that I need the unit to be portable.

I was wondering what the G70 might be worth? I bought it new 1 1/2 years ago. It has 4xx hours and is mint condition, along with all of the original packing materials and manuals. Any guesses?

Sorry to be leaving the CRT forum.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Cary, It is worth the best offer you can entertain. I would suggest trying the classified area of the forum. I have had very good results there in the past 3 months. Sold 4 CRT projectors and bought a HTPC. If your projector is what you say it is I would think it would bring $4800 to $5500

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James,

Usually units with new tubes have many more hours on the chassis or have been abused. My has not been re tubed, which may be part of the cost difference.

I paid $6.5k 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 7Music7
James,

Usually units with new tubes have many more hours on the chassis or have been abused. My has not been re tubed, which may be part of the cost difference.

I paid $6.5k 1 1/2 years ago.
so your saying a unit with brand new sony tubes is worth less than a unit with used tubes? i am assuming neither has been abused. chassis hours on a crt mean little.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James,

Yes I am saying that a high hour unit with new tubes is worth less than a used low hour unit. Which would you rather have, a car with 200,000 miles and a new engine, or a car with only 15,000 miles total? Me, I would pick the lower total hour car any day.

By the way, the CRT tubes are not the only thing that wears out over time, look at the posts regarding failures and you will see that most are NOT due to the tubes failing.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Cary, I agree with you totally about hours and original tubes. This really boils down to knowing your seller too. I would rather buy your projector for $5k knowing how it has been used than one with new Sony tubes with higher chassis hours for the same money. Ask Mike Greer what a nightmare he is experiencing with the two G70's he has after returning the one. We both bought the chassis for our G70's from the same vendor here in Indiana and are having similar problems. This may be a coincidence but may be connected to how the pj's were used and cared for in their previous corporate life. Just my 2 cents wroth.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matrix,

I agree with you that one thing that really matters is the previous life.

I bought a 1272 with about 2,000 hours a couple of years ago off of a guy on e-bay. The projector was a rental unit in "really good condition." When I received the unit it looked like it had gone through a war zone, every side was scratched and cracked, the case did not even hold together. He said that he would send me a new case...never saw it.

My g-70 was bought new from Henry fu and was a "demo" unit. It turns out that my unit was actually a back-up unit just in case something went wrong with the first unit. When I received my unit it had only two hours. The unit has Never been reset, re tubed, or rented.

I would be more than willing for the buyer to come to my house and watch a movie or two to prove that there are no burns or intermittent issues with the machine...who else selling a unit would make this offer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.