Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the process of putting together a home theater room, and I have a Sony G90.

Does anyone know of companies who mass produce coffee tables to house a G90?

I want to install it as close to the floor as possible, and simply angle the "guns" toward the screen. I want to try and "hide" the G90 inside of a table, but am not sure who if anyone makes these tables.

I've seen them in Audio/Video Interiors, but never could figure out who built these.

Does anyone know who builds "semi-custom" G90 coffe tables?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
You could get a cabinet maker to build you a table fairly cheaply. Having the lid flip up (to easily access the PJ) would be a good idea. Another thing to consider is air flow and noise reduction...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Eric,

PM your email to me and I will forward a pic of an actual coffee table CRT made by SONY. Perhaps it can inspire the design within you to come out?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
leave six inches on the sides and top for air flow

XANATOS

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to try and keep the back end of the G90 as close to the floor as possible.

The middle of my screen is roughly 52" off the floor. Does anybody know what angle I can actually use on the projector coffee table to angle the G90?

Since it'll be pretty close to the floor, I imaging I'll really need to angle the PJ so it can fill my screen, but I don't know if a certain angle is too much, and hence keystone of the image and other stuff would make the image tough.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually, you won't have to angle the projector much at all. I've got a G70, and the mounting distances/angles are similar to those of the G90. I've got mine mounted on the ceiling, and the top of the projector sits about 6" below the ceiling. The screen is nearly centered on the 8' wall; it's probably only 4" or so off center.

That being the case, a floor mounted unit would probably sit low enough that the bottom of the projector would only be 8"-14" off of the floor. That's just a rough guess, but it's probably pretty close. They can sit closer to the floor than you may realize.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Try not to angle the projector if at all possible, doing so will require you to use excessive keystone, and you'll have set up and PQ issues. Sitting it pretty flat on the floor (raised a few inches in the table) should put the screen in an acceptible position.

- Rick

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stieger
Does anyone know of companies who mass produce coffee tables to house a G90?
G90's themselves are not mass produced so you won't be able to find a company that makes coffee tables specificially for the G90.

A cabinet maker is probably your best idea but be aware that this individual will have NO idea on the cooling requirements of the projector.

Kal

·
Registered
40 Posts
The following company makes coffee tables for CRT projectors. But they are pretty expensive.

http://www.longbow-sp.co.uk

The coffee table would have ended up costing more than my G70. :). But they look very cool. I believe they have some multi-media clips on the site too that show off some extreme capabilities. I wonder what it would take to build one of these. But anyway, just so you know there are coffee tables made for the G-90 too.

Anand

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not to jinx anyone with a floor setup --- but be sure the PJ will not get anything spilled on it. Its inevitable that a table gets things set on it, and eventually one of those "things" gets spilled... Nothing will ruin a movie quicker. :(

A properly designed table will provide adequate ventilation and will help protect the PJ from everything liquid short of a flood.

--Kieth

·
Registered
254 Posts
I built a nice table for my 1270 , I can send you a link to some pictures if you send me PM. I's not hard if you have acess to a shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.