AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP A7217A (re-branded Sony GDM-FW900) and here's the story:

- the monitor ran great, as long as you leave it on 24/7

- if the monitor is powered off for an hour or more it didn't want to show a picture, rather, the green power LED would be green on power up and then turn amber and flash about 2 times a second but no picture. Then powered down and powered back on and the monitor would work.

- eventually, began to hear a sizzle type high voltage popping and the screen would show a blurred image and then the monitor powers off and the power LED blinks. After a few power button cycles the monitor worked.

- to this point, if I left the monitor powered on 24/7 it stil ran great, blacks were black (not green tinted), sharp focus, etc

tonight, I powered off the monitor for 5 hours and when I powered it back on I heard a strong sizzle flyback xformer sound, louder than anytime before, and upon removing the ground shield cage panels I can see high voltage pulse each time I hear a sizzle, and it shows in the crt connector neck, and just on one pin (I think one of the flyback wires goes to that pin but I haven't looked at the schematic yet.

anyone familar with this failure on the FW900?

Flyback xformer is about $100 but maybe a cap has gone bad or something and the new flyback will go belly up in a few months? I can't afford that right now. If the part(s) are less than $50 I can do it.

I used to work for HP as a component level repair tech, worked on system test instrumentation and second product line was computer terminals so I know how to work on CRT's, discharge the flyback, etc

thanks for any help ...

·
Registered
712 Posts
It sounds like the high voltage went so high that it arcs. See if there is any HV adjust pot on the mainboard. It should be located near the flyback, on the edge of the board.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.