AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a review of the Sony Qualia 006 RPTV. That thing is apparently very bright. It has a 200W globe.

Anyone have any idea why they put a light-cannon globe in their RPTV, but my HS50 is so, er, less adequate?

Thoughts about cooling a 200W globe in that big RPTV box?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
RPTVs are made to be viewed in rooms that have partial daylight, etc. Besides, the lamp in your HS20 is 180W, which isn't that much less than the 200W in the Qualia.

The lamp in my MT700 DLP projector is 250W, but DLP projectors are not as light efficient as LCDs can be.

Cooling is no problem if you have a good fan or two, and efficient duct work to channel the heat out of the unit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HS20 was 180W. My HS50 is 135W. Not that bulb power consumption is a direct indicator of bulb brightness, but it is fairly directly related to the amount of cooling system needed in a device. Which is why I assume that there is the trend to lower power globes ( = quiter fans).

I hadn't thought about it before, but a single DLP will waste a lot of light due to the filter, yes? (e.g. the average of the RGB filter segments might cut out 50% of the light, plus there is the synchrinisation gap between changing segments).

I would have thought that SXRD type technology could be made as efficient as transmissive LCD filters, though. The fact that it has a mirror with an LCD on top of it doesn't necessarily change the wastage of the on (non-twisted crystal) state?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
No matter what technology is used, every surface interface that the light travels through, or reflects off of, will result in some loss of light (absorption). Therefore, the more obsticles in thel ight path the greater the amount of light reaching the screen surface will be reduced. This includes mirrors as well as the surfaces of the display element and the elements themselves.

I don't know the details concerning the relative efficiencies of LCD vs. SXRD. The SXRD has other advantages over LCD, but efficiency of light output may or may not be one of them. The goal is better contrast and more accurate color rendition. Light output can always be increased by using a higher power llight source (at the expense of greater heat and cost of electricity).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.